?'s about frogspawn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

acid_burn

Aquarium Advice Activist
My frogspawn has blown up a little more than usual today and also released a tentacle and more look like they may release. Just wondering if that is normal for reproduction or is it sick?

In the picture where the tentacles look pinched at the base is where it released I think.

Thanks,
Rich

Releasing tentacles is fairly common but if it occurs too often it may be a sign it's getting too much water flow. It looks healthy enough. As far as the size of the tentacles, that somewhat common as well. The only thing I would suggest is checking the alk/Ca. They tend to extend further/larger when that gets low. Otherwise I wouldn't worry.

Cheers
Steve

Checked my levels earlier today: Ca=375mg/l and Alk=3meg/l. I ran out of calcium yesterday and am waiting for my B-ionic to get here from Captivereefs.com, should be in the next day or so. Is that too long to wait?

Thanks,
Rich

B-ionic won't help fix a chem imbalance. While you're waiting on the delivery I would suggest a few water changes to bring things back into balance unless you use IO salts. Then your going to need a stand alone CaCl additive.

Cheers
Steve

Actually you can dose just the Calcium part of b-ionic to raise the Ca level. The magnesium may be a little low if your Ca is low and hard to bring up.

captivereefs said:
Actually you can dose just the Calcium part of b-ionic to raise the Ca level. The magnesium may be a little low if your Ca is low and hard to bring up.
I have actually tested this myself on many occassions with Kent and C-Balance but not the ESV (not available here). If using only one part to augment one side of the equation it rarely works, it needs both. That aside, you'd need to add about 300 ml of part two for a proper balance with a 3 mEq/l alk. 8O

Personally I would use small amounts of CaCl and just let the alk fall a bit. Nothing wrong with NSW levels. Your choice either way.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom