S.O.S Everything is Dying !!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Neptune333

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
:confused::confused::confused: I Need Help !!! I don't know whats going on !!! My tank has this crazy red algae all over my live rock and sand. My Lemon Peel Angel Died and so did my shrimp and my urchin is on its way... Temp. readings seem normal... whats going on

Last Night's Test
-Salinity: 1.027
-Temperature: 80
-Ammonia: 0
-Nitrite: 0
-Nitrate: 20
-PH: 7.8
-Phosphate: 0

30 Gallon:
20lbs LiveRock (Fiji)
-1x Colt Frag
-1x Purple Zoanthids Frag
Fish & Critters:
-1x Lemon Peel Dwarf Angelfish (Died)
-2x Damsel (Yellowtail&BlueDevil)
-1x Royal Gramma
-2x Turbo Snails
-2x Hermit Crabs
-1x ElectricBlue Hermit
-1x Cleaner Shrimp... (Died)
-1x Long-spined Sea Urchin... (Died)
-1x Brittle Starfish (Adult) ***
*** = HitchHikers Sooo my tank has been running for about 1 year now. The Red Algae started about 3 months ago. When I noticed it I tried cutting back alil on the feeding and turned down the time that my lamp was on. I have the lights on for about 6 hours now... I'll have to check. I also added a PowerHead, I had a lv. 1 powerhead and thought a lv. 2 might help with the red algae... so far no... I went to my fish store with water from my tank and came to the conclusion that I needed a Phosphate pad in my filter (a pad that got hot when I ran it underwater to rinse it). Also about a month ago my Urchin started droping all his spikes. Thats when it all started to go down hill... then my Lemon Peel Died and then the Shrimp and I euthanized my Urchin. I thought my Lemon Peel was killing my Urchin but it ended up dying before I put the urchin out of its misery. and then the Shrimp died the next day... could my Hermits be killing everything ? or my Brittle Star ??Ok what I want to know is... 1) if I build a sump will it help with the algae? 2) could my Hermits or Brittle be killing my fish and shrimp? 3) could the algea be caused beacuase I haven't changed the charcole bag in my filter ?

First of all your salinity is on the high side. I would recommend dropping it slowly down to 1.024. With your salinity that high when you have evaporation it will only go higher and that could be the cause of the sudden deaths in your tank. Also I would lower your temp a little bit to 78. High temp = lower oxygen levels and that can cause stress in an already stressful environment.

On to your questions:
1. Building a sump and having a fuge with macro in it will help the system overall. In time it will help reduce algae in the display.
2. I do not think your hermits or the brittle are killing your fish or shrimp.
3. The algae is because you have excess nutrients in your system. Cleaning your filter and changing the carbon regularly are important.

Back
Top Bottom