Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-14-2012, 08:58 PM   #1

Question Shrimp Dying Off

All my shrimp seem to be dying off and I don't know why. I lost a scarlet skunk shrimp on Friday and today I lost my blood fire shrimp, and my second and last scarlet skunk seems to be dying as well. I tested all my levels and everything is normal. Salinity is 1.021, temperature is 82, pH is 8.2, dKH is a little high 15.7, and everything else is normal. Does anyone know what could be going on? I lost my nassarius snails too. Whatever's wrong seems to only be affecting the inverts because the fish are fine.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your salinity is low in my opinion. You should shoot for 1.025. Personally I keep my tank at 1.026.

Shrimp are extremely sensitive to salinity changes etc.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:30 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Agree with con. Salinity should be 1.023-1.026. Also, keep an eye on the temp. 82 is getting a little high. Keeping it 78-80 is better.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

What makes you think the skunk is dying? Is he lethargic?

Very sorry to hear that!!!

Like Con said, may want to bring up the SG a tad to 1.025 or so.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:07 PM   #5

Okay I'll bring the salinity up. It's my first saltwater tank and salinity has always been very tough for me, i can never get it right. I'll try and bring it up to 1.025. It's usually higher but lately it's been very bouncy. I agree that 82 is a little too warm. My heater is terrible and can hardly maintain a stable temperature. It sometimes changes over 2 degrees in one day, but none of my animals seemed to mind so I getting a better heater wasn't my top priority. So it's the salinity that's killing them?
Old 10-14-2012, 11:24 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

When I was making water for the first time I marked a measuring cup with the amount needed for 1 gallon and I marked my bucket at 1 gallon intervals. I make 2 gallons at a time and it is 1 cup of salt.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:28 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafanatic
Okay I'll bring the salinity up. It's my first saltwater tank and salinity has always been very tough for me, i can never get it right. I'll try and bring it up to 1.025. It's usually higher but lately it's been very bouncy. I agree that 82 is a little too warm. My heater is terrible and can hardly maintain a stable temperature. It sometimes changes over 2 degrees in one day, but none of my animals seemed to mind so I getting a better heater wasn't my top priority. So it's the salinity that's killing them?
Salinity could be the reason. Shrimp are very sensitive to salinity changes. If your going to bring your salinity up I recommend doing it very slowly to avoid shock.

Just curious. How long have you had these shrimp again? Also do you drip acclimate them and if so for how long?

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:46 PM   #8

I've had the scarlet skunks since May and the blood fire for 2-3 months. When I got the scarlet skunks I didn't know about drip acclimating so I just did the usual bag floating method, but luckily they adjusted okay. I did drip acclimate the blood fire shrimp for 2 hours when I got it. I feel like salinity could be the reason. But also my nassarius snails all died as well so could the shrimp deaths and snail deaths possibly be linked?
Old 10-14-2012, 11:53 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you have rock in the tank? Did you buy it used? And if it was used, are you certain that copper was never used in The tank it was in? Just throwing that out there, trying to help you find a reason for the deaths of so many invertebrates.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:56 PM   #10

I do have rock from petco, although I wish I got it from somewhere else because it's not the most visually appealing live rock. Copper was never used in my tank and my filter pad has carbon in it, which takes out copper if I'm not messing up my facts. I feel like it's the salinity killing all my inverts. For a long time it was really low, 1.015, and I couldn't raise it. Then it went to normal for a few days, then it went high up to 1.030, and then back down to 1.021. So yeah, lots of salinity changes. That was probably it.

Tags
dyi, dying, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com