Sick Chromis?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MACATUA

Aquarium Advice FINatic
First off I have in my tank 4 small Green Chromis and a Bi-color blenny. On saturday I noticed that 1 of the chromis had a few little white spots on him. I just watched because the LFS would not be open until Monday. Well, I turned on the lights this morning and noticed that the white spots are starting to spread a little, and that his tail fin has turned black. But none of the othere Chromis are suffering.

I went to the LFS at lunch today and asked him. My nitrates are a little high (almost 40 ppm right now, doing a water cahnge tomorrow) but ammonia and ph are fine. He said not to worry. He is swimming around. But I just find it hard to believe that a black tail is a normal thing. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Other Questions

Is your sick Chromis showing any other symptoms such as lack of appetite, regularly hiding, or rubbing of any kind? Have you tried adding Melaflix to your tank? Marineland (as well as SeaChem and others) sells a product called Bio-Coat that helps alleviate stress and to help the fish with their slime coat. Your lfs is wrong, IMHO, to say that there's nothing to worry about. Something is happening! Do you have a hospital tank? If so, you might put him in there for a week.

Well, the suffering is over, I lost my first fish :( And it really made me feel bad to. I didn't know a fish I had for 2 weeks could upset me, but I guess it can.

Back
Top Bottom