I've got a suspected sick coral beauty.. he's lethargic, not eating, his stomach looks "inwards-pressed" on both sides, seems to be frequently holding himself on an angle (i.e. not upright) and where his side fins join to the body they've gone gray in colour.
I've attached a picture of one of these fish (not mine) with the gray area circled to show where I mean.
Questions and answers....
1. How long have you had the fish? Do you know if it was wild caught, or tank raised?
About three months.
2. How long has the fish been in the tank? What are the tank mates? Any aggression?
About three months. Added a brown tang last month which had whitespot, but this seems to have cleared now. Used one dosage of triple sulfa. Other mates are orange tail damsel and perc clown.
3. Is the fish eating? If so what does it eat?
Not really but when it does, it's a high protein flake, a bit of nori or frozen mysis shrimp.
4. What are the water parameters? pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, SPG? (actual numbers please: posting high, average or normal is not helpful) What saltwater test kit are you using?
Ammonia: 0, nitrite: 0, nitrate: 0, phosphates: 0, SG
: 1.019, pH: 8.2.
5. Is the fish showing any physical signs of disease, grain of salt size spots, discoloration, ragged fins, misting or spots on the fins, cuts, cloudy eyes, etc?
No signs other than the gray side fin in the area squared out image below. That's not my fish btw, just one to demonstrate location of area.
6. Is the fish "flashing" (scratching or rubbing on rocks, decorations or substrate)?
7. How is the fish acting? Is it swimming around, or just hovering in one spot or corner of the tank?
Mostly hovering in one spot, deep in the rocks at the back of the tank. When it does come out, it seems to have a tendency to tilt on an angle. Move slower and more lethargic than usual.
8. Did you use quarantine? If so for how long and did you have a need to treat for any ailments? Is it in qt now? Are you currently treating with any medication(s)?
No to all.
9. Describe in detail how the fish was acclimated.
Over a period of one hour. First 30 minutes just in the bag, in the tank. Then every 10 minutes or so added a cup of tank water to the bag.
10. What size system? What type of filtration do you use? Do you have any live rock or sand?
11. Do you use any additives? Have you used any sort of meds in the main tank?
additives. See above for med.