Sick Leather

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Melissajk

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was wondering why my leather will not open all the way. Do you think the mushroom below it has something to do with it?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1454866381165.jpg
    1454866381165.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 76
How long has the leather been closed up like that?
What light fixture do you use?
What are the parameters of the tank?
Have you changed anything with the tank recently?

I have Kessel 350w. I checked the calcium was at 300. Low so I dosed as well as magnesium and alkinity. Phosphate is good I have a phosphate reactor. The mushroom has grown and the leather started to close. I'm not sure if the mushroom is stinging it. I really haven't changed anything.

Calcium levels won't have any direct effect on soft corals. Alk levels on the other hand would have some. The same can be said about 'stinging'. Soft corals can't sting like LPS. They battle each other with chemical warfare.
Though the last there could be an option, it is normal for soft corals to close up for some time as they 'shed their skin'. Once this is done, things are back to normal. This is one theory as to why there aren't many, if any, parasites that bother these types of soft corals.

Thank you, it did just shed. About a week ago, I still see some stuff coming off of it. I'll keep an eye on it

Back
Top Bottom