sick tang???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abrahamavelar

Aquarium Advice Addict
hello today i did some test on my water and it was fine so i went and bought some live rock and 1 yellow tang and he seemed fine when i put him in the tank and then after i turned the lights off i went to see if the skimmer was doing fine and i saw him with a white stripe on his sides and like a red mark kind of the shape of his insides what could of happen, i got 2 clown fish 2 fire fish 3 black snails 3 turbo, 3 hermits and one emerald, also i have some anemones and mushrooms and polups or how ever they are called my tank is a 80 gal

That's his night colorations. Not to worry. When the lights comes on in the morning he will be fine.

To answer your question about chemistry we need to know a little more about the sytem..............How much LR have you placed in there already, how old is the system (in months) by the sounds of it already your existing LR will quickly help your new cure and settle nicely.......test your water a little more regular you MIGHT see a fluctuation in params but nothing that should alarm or harm your stock.

Wow, Just recovering from a 5hour electric outage,,,,,,,,,,,,,

well i added 7 lbs and the tank is its about 3 weeks, thanks for your guys' help this morning the tang was good it only had the white stripe will it go away?????????

tank okay???????????????
Yeah, It was more like 6 hrs and lucky it was from 9pm to 3am so heat was not a problem. It's bad when it's totally out of your control,
All's well.
Thanks

abe, it's normal for your PH to drop at night and with a very young tank I would not worry to much about it. Just be sure to do your weekly PWC and you should be fine. I see you did not QT your new fish. Be careful, Tangs are ich magnets and stress out easily. Don't add more fish for at least a week to let your bio-load catch up.

oh yeah i actually wasnt going to add it its just that my friend gave it to me because he moved and he didnt want it anymore and his tank is pretty much gone because he got a shark,also i dont know how to do a qt tank, is it just like a ten gal with salt water and a air pump?????????? because i want one but i dont have a clue how to keep a qt

Okay Abe, hows the Tang? As far as a QT tank, 10g will do but as always the bigger the better. I would get a sponge filter and run that in your sump. Then when you plan to buy a fish take the sponge filter out of the sump and place it in your QT with freshly made up SW. Let that run and when you buy a fish acclimate it to the QT water and QT the fish for a Min of 14 days.
If it's in a rush, take the filter and put it in the QT with water from your DT and add the emergency injured or sick fish out of your tank. This time there would be no need to Acclimate since it's the same water.

the tang its doing fine it eats here and there but he only eats alittle bit, also i already got the qt tank,right now its a 10 gal but ill get a bigger one after i buy a sump because i dont have one yet but if i dont buy one ill make one i saw afew pics of them on the dyi sections

That's great. He'll eat more later. What are you feeding him?
The 10g will do fine.

Back
Top Bottom