sick toadstool

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jayfish

Aquarium Advice Regular
ihave a leather toadstool it seemed to be doing alright at first then went droopie i hav turned and moved him but he still goes droopie and he has bend near his base his polyps still open and he looks happy except 4 this any suggestions please

How long have you had the leather? Most new leathers will go dormant when newly added to a tank getting a waxy coating. Sloughing will generally take a few days-week where it will finally shed when it's coming out of it.

Please also post your water specs, other coral inhabitants, fish, tank size and ligting...

Cheers
Steve

about 10 months and hes been bent about 2 months.we have sponges torch corals, button polyps , mushrooms, golf ball and they are ok. water is all good but calcium is a bit high about 650, tank size 75 gal, not sure about specs on lights

jayfish said:
about 10 months and hes been bent about 2 months.
A pic might help but it sounds like it's either too close to another coral causing damage/stress or it has become too large to support it's own weight.

we have sponges torch corals, button polyps , mushrooms, golf ball and they are ok.
With these types of corals housed together, I would suggest using carbon if you do not already. It will help remove the chemicals released by soft/LPS corals in general. They release chemicals as a means of keeping/claiming territory which can cause damage to any coral within the tank, nearby or not.

water is all good
I don't mean to doubt you but with that kind of animal load (fish), I find it hard to believe the nitrates are not on the higher side :?:

but calcium is a bit high about 650, tank size 75 gal, not sure about specs on lights
Wildly high Ca will more commonly be from low Mg unless you are dosing Ca additives without need. Many saltmixes are deficient in Mg and often need supplimenting, especially with heavy coralline growth. This needs to be corrected or any univalves/bivalves will begin to suffer.

Cheers
Steve

not using ca supplements and changed to real seawater about 6 months ago, so im not sure of the high reading, i have coral sand and aragonite substrate.

Sorry, as far as the taodstool is concerned your not really providing any feedback to suggest what might be the cause. Can't help you until you do.

jayfish said:
not using ca supplements and changed to real seawater about 6 months ago, so im not sure of the high reading, i have coral sand and aragonite substrate.
With no additions, I would suspect either low Mg or the test kit is defective. I would take a water sample to your LFS and have them check alk, Ca and Mg.

Cheers
Steve

i have moved him around varies of times i found he liked 2 be in the current he seems very happy and standing straight now

Your problem might be the fact that you are moving it all over the place. Most corals are already stressed from growing under certain lighting ( most likely natural sunlight. then shipping in a dark container, then at the LFS under a different type of lighting. Finally to your location where it is yet again under a different lighting. Then the fact that when it starts to get used to a certain spot in the tank, and you go and move it it has yet again to adjust to more/less lighting. Id suggest leaving it in one spot with decent water movement for a few weeks to see how it does. Also need your water parameters and if any other corals are in close proximity.

gilly said:
how much light does the toadstool need?
They will adapt to a fairly wide variety of reef style lighting but generally med to high intensity is best.

Cheers
Steve

he seems 2 hav good and bad days he was standing up 4 2 weeks now lies down but still looks happy i dont think its good 4 himn 2 lay dowwn 4 a day or 2 should i just leave him there i normaly turn him so his not touching the bottom or leaning on other rocks 4 support

jayfish said:
i normaly turn him so his not touching the bottom or leaning on other rocks
As SirLight1337 pointed out, moving them can cause a fair amount of stress. If continually done so, it will cause the leather to remain unhealthy looking for weeks at a time. Once the coral is placed in a relatively apt possition, leave it be. You are most likely the cause of it not looking so good if it's being rotated on a regular basis.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom