sick yellow tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mtfish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 75 gallon fowlr tank. Have one tomato clown, one javanese damsel, one blue damsel, one cardinal fish and one yellow tang. Also have one long-spined sea urchin. Tank has been running for about 8 months. Yellow tang was last fish added about 3 months ago. Today the tang is acting lethargic and has a little poop hanging out that he is not expelling. All other animals are acting normal. Tang was acting normal yesterday. I did notice the water temp was about 2 degrees lower than normal so put a heater in the sump. Ammonia read 0.25 (which seems strange), nitrite = 0, nitrate = 15. In the process of doing a water exchange to get parameters better. Tang is still slowly swimming but did not feed today. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Ok what are your water test results today. Ammonia amounts in any amount is lethal in a SW tank. Any other observations about him.

bad news

Thanks for the reply. Ammonia reading is inbetween 0 and 0.25. Nitrite still 0. Nitrate went up to 20. But I lost the battle and have lost the tang. I looks like it just starved to death, but had been eating well 2 days ago. Before I go forward with more fish to stock, I need to get a handle on filtration. When I started the tank I had a canister filter, but am trying to go strictly with live rock and sump system. Until I get water chemistry stable, I am at a stand still. Again thanks for the reply.

Back
Top Bottom