Small area of pink zoa colony not opening?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeeDemTails

Aquarium Advice Freak
I removed some macro algae from in between my zoas the other day and ever since, they have not opened in this section...it has been like 5 days and they are still closed!?!?!

This spot is in the center of the colony, all the ones around it are opening fine.

Is there any food I can use to help them open?....or should I just wait it out.

My water is good, trites, trates and amm are all zero..Ph 8.4.....temp is steady 78.5*F.

IMG_3098.jpg

Dont worry, the surface is usually ripping, I had to cut off the PH to take this shot!
IMG_3100.jpg

Still not open as of tonight

I'm not a reefer, but is it possible it has/is being stung? That looks like a localized spot, what is behind it?

Not possible, none of my corals are close enough to each other to sting, and no body has sweepers.

Some of them have finally started to open...

And I use tweezers to pick out the algae, I barley even touched the zoos.......

Yeah, they are some nasty zoas......they get dirty once a week! Grimy little things!

They are starting to open, one by one.....I am still clueless as to why they were closed for over a week?........I did remove the algae, but I did that to other parts as well, and they opened back up in like 15 minutes!

The build-up of detritus can encourage the onset of bacterial infections. The week they were closed could have had something to do with that. If they are getting a build-up of detritus, you need to increase the flow in their area.

I have a PH pointed directly at them not more than 8 inches away!

The colony is extremly thick, I think this may have something to do with it.

Back
Top Bottom