Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-05-2011, 09:23 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom760
http://www.dfs-pet-blog.com/2010/01/ich/
here is a good source in how to treat marine velvet and saltwater ich. medication required is formalin&copper; go to lfs and buy the version of quick cure that has formalin/copper. good luck.
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-0...ture/index.php
this is a better read

Old 09-06-2011, 10:03 AM   #12

Well i saw my pearlscale swimming around this morning before i left for work, the spot has gotten bigger, if its still alive when i get home, i should be able to finally get a pic of it. the closest thing i can find is cotton wool disease. but Im not sure if thats what it actually is. ill be picking up another qt tank so that I can at least try to separate the fish.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:09 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Goodluck, hopefully he is ok when you get home. fingers crossed for ya!
Old 09-06-2011, 11:24 AM   #14

okay so i buy a QT tank, going to throw in some PVC for them to hide, should i just use the water from my tank since im going to treat it? and ive read that my main tank should be fishless for up to 8 weeks... Can i leave my fish in QT for that long?
Old 09-06-2011, 11:44 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yep, you can leave your fish in qt for that long. It's really the only way to be sure whatever is in your tank is dead and no longer a threat.

Since you will be treating the qt I think it'd be ok to use your tank water, maybe a half and half split between tank water and fresh saltwater.

Whatever you put in the qt will be with the fish so I;d limit it as much as I can. And with the qt make sure no sand. The parasites can linger in there and it will be easier to clean the qt tank as well. You will have to monitor the qt though, quite frequently especially if you don't have it cycled. I woudl imagine daily water changes might be necessary to keep ammonia levels down. :-( and you also have to monitor the medication levels, too little and youre wasting your time too much and you risk your fish.

Petco was still running their $1 a gallon sale yesterday so maybe you can drop 20$ and pick up a 20 L tank or a 29g. Give the fish more room since they are gonna be in there for awhile. But also keep in mind the larger the qt the more meds you have to administer and control.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:59 PM   #16

okay one more question. is there a specific type of medicine i should get? my LFS is closed on Tuesdays....(dumb i know)

So I'm basically held up to Petsmart and or Petco. everything that I've read says treat with copper sulfate or antibiotics.

I'm pretty sure i"ve seen an anti fungus copper sulfate bottle at Petsmart. any ideas what antibiotics would work or where where would have them?

If not can i use whatever has copper sulfate in it?
Old 09-06-2011, 02:13 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I think cupramine is the best choice, it's usually the recommended brand. Not sure if the chain stores carry it, I think my Petco does though.

As far as anitbiotics I'm not sure. I've only ever treated one fish and though I thought it required antibiotics and penicillin it turned out he was injured tahter than "sick". I also fed antibiotic food.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:13 AM   #18

alright, well i got all my fish into my q tank. i had to destroy my big tank to catch them all but i got em.

The pearl scale is still alive this morning! If it makes it until tomorrow, something I have done has worked on some level.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:20 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Getting them out of the tank was a good thing. Really. Even though you had to breakdown your tank to do it.

Now you can easily watch them and observe, you will have to do pwc's though if they went into an uncycled tank. Hopefully you will see an improvement in the fish.

Maybe you can treat them with something like paraguard....it's supposed to be a qt medication for new fish in a qt but it might help. We also don't know what is wrong with them yet, so I wouldnt rush into a copper treatment or freshwater dip until you know it will help.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:45 AM   #20

here is a pic of the pearlscale. It isnt as bad as it was on the rest of the fish before they died, hopefully i got it out quick enough. I bought instant ocean lifeguard, as it said it helps with fungal and bacterial problems, So i put that in the QT. I'm just impressed that its still alive, by everyone else's schedule it should be dead... Maybe this will work after all.

The other two pics are a before and after of the madness that was fishing last night...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Caddy 007.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	236.3 KB
ID:	50634   Click image for larger version

Name:	Caddy 002.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	240.1 KB
ID:	50635  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Caddy 005.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	247.9 KB
ID:	50636  

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com