splitting fins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mwrmma

Aquarium Advice Activist
just wondering if i could get any info on this. i have 2 maroon clowns that have the top fin splitting. it doesnt look like a disease or anything, just splitting apart, and my saddleback butterfly looks like the back bottom fin is splitting. i'm not sure if the clowns are just being rough since they are fighting over who gets to sleep with the BTA, but the butterfly is a mystery. my water conditions seem fine.
Ca 500
dKH 12
nitrAtes 15
temp 78
ph 8.3
i am adding in stress coat with aloe in hopes of the fins healing on their own. not sure what to do.
thanks

Alot of times my two clowns will have splits due to fighting with each other. One is a gold stripe maroon. If it looks like it`s getting worse you might want to check out finrot disease

ok so i just got home and the maroon clown is now not just split, but more or a rot, and the butterfly is the same. now what do i do considering i have a reef tank and no quarantine tank? any suggestions?

the clown fish's fins were just split down the middle of the top fin. yesterday they were more broken down into individual nub like pieces. the butterfly hasnt really changed at all. the bottom of the back fin below the tail still looks like it is split with a small piece missing, and now the yellow tang looks like it is missing a small piece of his top fin. not sure if they are getting fiesty after the lights go off? i usually do PWC's once every week or 2 and it is always 20 ~ 22 gallons. so like 20%. should i be doing more of these? or is there anything else i should be testing for?

here are a couple pics if anyone would like to comment.

Attachments

• tank_006_904.jpg
    tank_006_904.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 41
  • tank_012_126.jpg
    tank_012_126.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 47
I still think agression. They almost look like nip spots IMO. I`ll see it on my clowns and they grow back. But let me know if it gets worse.

I agree. It looks more like an aggression issue to me. Keep an eye out for the culprit. That species of clowns is know to be fairly aggressive. Have you noticed any issues?

none more than the two maroons scrapping it out, but nothing that really alarms me about it. just circling and nudging each other. everone else in the tank is pretty peaceful. i'll have to keep an eye out after the lights go out.

mwrmma said:
none more than the two maroons scrapping it out, but nothing that really alarms me about it. just circling and nudging each other. everone else in the tank is pretty peaceful. i'll have to keep an eye out after the lights go out.
Or during feeding.

Back
Top Bottom