Symptoms of a Lion's sting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was hit twice

Hi,

I was hit twice by lionfishes. First they do not go after your arm when you put it into the tank. You only get hit if you place your hand near it. The top fins are the one's that get you. I was out for two weeks the first time. My hand felt heated up. :oops: I place my hand in hot water and rushed to the hospital, thank God he was small a larger one would of sent me right to hell! :twisted: My hand was without any feelings for two weeks.
The second time was from a dead one, yes a dead one. I took it out with a net not noticing a spine sticking out from the bottom of the net. This one inflated my hand like a small catcher's mit. 8O Any way the second one was worse then the first one, :oops: but I'm still talking about it. Who knows maybe the third one will do me in. :evil: I now have many of them over 10" and those will kill you 8O if you don't get to the hospital on time! :?:

take care!

actually, i am pretty familiar with these fish and the only spines that are venemous are right on its forehead. I had one that would brush my hand often when I was cleaning his tank. Did get in-venomated once when he ran directly into me, hurt like @#$%.

jks1 said:
actually, i am pretty familiar with these fish and the only spines that are venemous are right on its forehead. I had one that would brush my hand often when I was cleaning his tank. Did get in-venomated once when he ran directly into me, hurt like @#$%.

you must not be a familiar as you think because the there are 13 spines and they run down from the forehead too the base of the tail

Re: I was hit twice

Thelionfishman said:
Hi,

over 10" and those will kill you 8O if you don't get to the hospital on time! :?:

take care!

id like too see your reason for beliving this?
thre are no documented cases of death from lion fish, only scorpion fish and stone fish

Alergic reaction can result in death, however, there have been no recorded incidents of death due to a Lionfish or Scorpion. The Stone fish is diffferent in the fact that it carries several different Neurotoxins which attack the body in different ways all at once.. There have been people that have lived, but they were down for the count for a long time...

The Scorpion fish that I stuck my finger on, placed my body in immediate pain...I remember it going up from the tips of my fingers up into my chest.. The pain was excrutiating...I was out on a shrimp boat and 60 miles off shore... we thought we were going to have to call the Coast Gaurd to get me off the boat and to a hospital... However, I declined and endured the pain and shallow breathing for a few hours or so... after that, I was sore for a few days... I tried everything from bleach, to hot water and nothing took the pain away.... :cry:

I heard it was only the first two spines on the dorsal fin that contained the venom....

Back when I worked at the petstore and we received these guys....after acclimating them I would pick them up from under their body and place them carefully in the tank....I've never been stung with venom by one, BUT I've been pricked by the bottom fins while placing them in their new tank.

I heard it was only the first two spines on the dorsal fin that contained the venom....

"They typically have 12 to 13 elongated dorsal spines, and also have 2 pelvic spines and 3 anal spines, all of which have a pair of venom glands at each of their bases. However, the fan-like array of pectoral fins, which may appear superficially the same as the dorsal fins in structure, are not equipped with these glands."

(Frank Marini, Ph.D.)

Back
Top Bottom