Symptoms of a Lion's sting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ha ha.... thanks kevin... no the reason i ask is because my angler is acting really strange ... not eating, breathing funny, spasming a little.... and i was hoping someone here new if my volitans lion might have stung him and if he did are there chances of survival :cry:

e-cat,

really appreciate that article, that is what happened to my poor wartskin... he passed today, i came home and found him on the bottom all swollen :cry: , the lion must have passed over him and stung him with his tail, that is the only thing i can think happend to him.

the lion must have passed over him and stung him with his tail

The lionfish can only deliver venom with it's dorsal spines (the ones on top of it's back), it does not deliver venom with it's tail or pectoral fins.

just wanted to add that somewhere around 99% of the info i find on liveaquaria turns out to be wrong after i do a little more research in other places....

I'll tell you what,,, does anyone want to grab one to let us know if the pelvic or anal fins are poisonous? They are... Very painful stings...

I have never been hit by a Lion however I have been hit by a Scorpion fish which is in the same family... I can say, that the shock my body went through when that happend, was severe, I cannot even imagine a fish living after being stung....It hurts like the dickens...put my arm out of service for a couple days...

the lion must have passed over him and stung him with his tail

The tail is the caudal fin, not the anal fin.

The spines on the dorsal, pelvic, and anal fins are venomous.

And that is correct, I just spewed some misinformation from the past :oops: At any rate, I highly doubt the lion envenomated the angler.

glad you liked the article.
the probably bumped into the lion at night if any thing, i doubt the lion went after the angler too sting him. did you look at the anglers body for a puncher wound? take a look at you lions spine and see if the tip broke off in the angler

Hi,

I've been dealing with Lionfishes for over Ten years now. I've been hit twice being my fault and I can tell you it's no joke the second time. On other fishes I never seen it happen, Lionfishes don't go around sticking anyone. They just bend forward and shows themself off. I believe if a Lionfish stings another fish the fish might be hurt for a couple of days. If you hear about a fish getting hit by a Lionfish and it die due to the cause please let me know what type of fish it was.
I did see in my 250 gallon tank two males go at it but they used their mouth instead. Of course one of the males had to go bye-bye to a bigger aquarium at the National Aquarium in Baltimore. :D

How bad did it hurt when they stung you? I have read many thing from it is like a bee sting to you must immediately plunge your hand intonear boiling water!! Just wondering how your experience turned out.

I got stung by a tiny pictus cat once in the finger. That turned most of my hand numb, can only imagine how the lion's sting feels. OUCH!!

I remember it being red with gray patches... It was sure ugly and unhappy when I shook my hand to get him off... Man it brings back memories...my arm is getting tight just thinking about it... That is one pain I don't want to experience again...There is no cure for it but time... Took a few days for me..

Back
Top Bottom