Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-11-2005, 05:54 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict
A few weeks ago I bought a puppy. The thing was a little nipper. Anyway I heard my young nephew crying when he was playing with the puppy. The puppy was teething and nipped him. I got so angry that I yanked every tooth out of that puppies mouth.

Of course that didn't happen, but I don't see a difference here. IMO we have an ethical obligation to provide the best possible care for the animals we own. Deliberate mutilation of any creature is inhumane.

Old 02-11-2005, 06:54 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Freak
I always reserch everything befor buying it. Most of the time the guys at the LFS are telling me the saem things I already found out, but I always ask again just to make sure I diden't overlook anything.
I know it is hard to find a good LFS depending on where you are. I guess that I'm just lucky having at least three great stores right here in town.

Emancipate yourself from mental slavery,
No one but ourselves can free our minds.
Bob Marley
Old 02-11-2005, 08:44 PM   #33
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Please request your LFS visit our site. The more retailers that are out there that are educated the better it is for the hobby. Its real simple to blame the store employees but we also have a responsiblity to help educate those whom need it.

Of course you could suggest they read the saltwater books they sell (assuming they sell them) but that would probably not be the best tactful method.
Remember dont tap the glass, your fish will think you're an idiot -Anonymous mother

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:53 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict
The proper, humane thing to do would be to return the CBS to your LFS, rather than mutilate it.
Former advisor and planted tank geek...life's moved on though.
Old 02-11-2005, 09:03 PM   #35
God of primitive fishes
Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
Originally Posted by malkore
The proper, humane thing to do would be to return the CBS to your LFS, rather than mutilate it.
I agree...what was done is reprehensible.
G. A. Christian Bilou, Herpetologist
Founder/Director, Reptile Rescue Alberta
Past-President, Calgary Aquarium Society
Old 02-11-2005, 09:21 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to Jonathan G.
lol you big bully... but from what i've seen they do fine in a community.
Old 02-11-2005, 09:39 PM   #37
AA Team Emeritus
If you think the shrimp is bad...wait till your 5 dollar a polyp mushrooms start killing off your 100 dollar 2" frags. That may be exxaggerated for your tank, but not for many, at any rate the reef is not a peaceful community, it's a violent murderous place. Darwinism at it's finest. It's folly to expect different in a small glass container in your living room. Generally CBS are considered reef safe, but let's explore what that means, it means they do not feed on or damage sessile inverts, your fish are fair game. That said, while if they can catch and eat them, they will...they generally can't catch them unless they are already sick.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
Old 02-11-2005, 10:06 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice FINatic
"Reef-safe" isn't a loosely used phrase that is open to a lot of interpretation....

We are attempting to completely manage an ecosystem and it can't be done. Even within the confines of an aquarium you can't control or predict every species interaction.

If I could control every thing it the tank...this hobby would get kind of dull.
40 Gal Hex, 10 Gal Sump, CPR overflow with Mag 7 return, Maxxima 35 RO/DI, 10K MH pendant, 2 x 15W actinic, 1 yellow tail damsel, 1 high fin goby, 40lbs LR.com rock, 1 red head goby, 1 algae blenny, Leather, blastomussa, sun, and hammer corals, green polyps, carpet anemone, 2 sexy shrimp...and more LR critters than you could imagine in your worst nightmares.... Mantis in 5 gal
Old 02-11-2005, 10:16 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
IMO there are different kinds of folks in this hobby.
Some get into it because they love the inhabitants of the sea and treat their animal as pets (IMO the way it should be). They do their homework, make their mistakes and end up with many years of enjoyment of their little undersea world that they create.
There is another segment of folks in this hobby that keep a tank to make a room look better, or to impress their family and friends. Kinda like when somebody puts a pretty picture on the wall. These folks will eventually crash and burn, unless they have a lot of luck.
Then there is a 3rd segment that gets into this hobby with good intentions and are misguided by certain LFS's that are in it for the quick buck and could care less if they succeed or not. These folks usually give up after a short attempt at keeping a system, many times they become bitter from their bad experience.
IMO the folks that fit in the first category will have the most success. We have to realize that these animals are snatched from their home in the sea for our enjoyment. If we bring them into our homes, we take on the responsibility of giving them the best care that we are capable of giving. They become out pets, like it or not. Proper research is the key in a hobby when there are so many variables and one should not rely on one LFS for all their info.
We are here to help, but mutilating an animal is not the answer. Please research your future additions and if the answers are not found on your own, please come here and ask us. There are a lot of folks here with expertise in different areas and we love to help.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:25 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice FINatic
a freshwater friend gave me some advice when i was starting my tank. he said expect everything you put in your tank to eventually kill something or be killed. of course that is a vague statement, but it is very true in a reef system. nature decides whats best for everyones tank. we can try to make choices that will lean towards the outcome we want but animals are not robots and cant be exactly predicted.

i think you will make better choices in the future

steve r

75g RR. 2x250 14k MH / 2x54 T5 act. 29g sump. ASM G1X skimmer. phosban reactor. 80lbs LS, 90lbs LR, 2x seio M620.
kole tang, bicolor angel, mandarin dragonette, ocellaris clown / BTA , cleaner shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, a variety of soft, SPS, and LPS corals, orange linckia star.
Closed Thread

eat, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com