Tubbs Blue Zoa and Green Hairy Mushroom Issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KantGetRite

Aquarium Advice Freak
First off, I'm not sure they are sick.

So i bought these frags when I got some new LED lighting for my 10g nano. They haven't grown at all and even got overrun by brown algae recently. The tubbs blue zoa hasn't really opened up in a few weeks like it did when I first bought it. Yesterday I moved both over in the 20g long that just finished cycling. They are currently in the sandbed and the light (I have 165w Full spectrum dimmable led) is on its lowest setting with both white and actintic on during day and just blue at night.

Are they dead? dying? should I just give it time in their new home with the better lighting? I just want them to thrive and be successful so please if you have any thoughts let me know.

Attachments

• hairymushroom.jpg
    hairymushroom.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 120
  • tubbsblue.jpg
    tubbsblue.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 142
Forgot to post parameters

Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: > 5.0 ppm
Ca = 490 ppm
Mg = 1480
Kh = 4.0 meg/L
dKH = 11.2
Salinity = 1.026

Those lights are pretty strong so you may want to try and shade them a little, if you see them start to reach for light then move them out into a little more light

I had 10 3w led fixture from aqua traders in the 10g....was it too strong or not strong enough because they don't look right. I just switched them into the 20 yesterday.

As a general rule of thumb browning = not enough light, bleaching = too much light

Those zoas appear to have something growing between them. It looks like a sponge or something. You might want to get a small tool and scrape that stuff out of there. An iodine dip wouldn't hurt either.

The shroom looks browner to me than bleached, is that picture an accurate color representation?

I would still try a lower light spot in the new tank and see how it responds. Once they open they'll let you know if they need more light by reaching for it

Update:

I did a 15 minute Iodine dip for the mushroom and moved it up toward the light. It had opened up and seemed to be reaching so I moved it.

I did a 30 minute Iodine dip for the Zoas and used tweezers and tried to remove as much dead algae as I could.

Now I'm just waiting for them to open up.

So after 24 hours, the tubbs zoa look skinnier but they seem to be opening up so i assume that why they're skinnier since they aren't closed up. Here is a pic...thoughts?

Attachments

• tubbs.jpg
    tubbs.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 115
Tubbs seems to be doing better. The mushroom is darker is color after the iodine dip but other than that not a lot has changedImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395880136.586358.jpg

Back
Top Bottom