URGENT! What is this illness?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DarkUmbreon

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently bought this clownfish on saturday and its been sick every since, I'm not sure if those dots are his slime or the ich? What exactly is this illness? The clownfish has very pale coloration and sometimes tries to eat. Its in with another clownfish that isnt sick yet, no aggression from the non infected anymore. The infected fish is swimming around usually hovering. I treated with NOX-ICH which has malachite green in it. I tried to check every pet store but they did not have quick cure or any formalin based product. I ordered some online but it will take a week to arrive since I'm in Hawaii. What do I do? Daily water changes? Will adding extra Prime help? He has stringy poop and appears to have dots on him?

He looked a lot better but still sick yesterday. He also ate yesterday but didnt eat this morning. Sorry for the double post I forgot to post the pictures

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1400515332512.jpg
    1400515332512.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 143
  • 1400515355847.jpg
    1400515355847.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 143
I agree it looks like velvet but the fact that it's not dead yet hasme thinking differently. May be real bad ich which can only be treated with hypo salinity or copper. Hopefully you have already quarantined the fish.

Im doing some freshwater baths right now, seems like I should buy copper...

Is this fish in a QT? I've always believed freshwater baths can be more stressful to an already sick fish. A copper based med is your best bet here - don't use it in your display...

The following is an article on what believe your fish has: Brooklynella. It was a comon disease amongst wild clownfish but it is not unheard of with tank raised specimens in tanks with wild caught fish or natural wild organisms. We used straight freshwater dips to cure our fish from this ( it did take multiple baths over the course of a week however) in combination with meds with formaldehyde/formalin to prevent secondary infections ( which if they did get, were transferred into antibiotic treated water.)
Hope this helps.

What is Brooklynella? Brooklynella is a type of saltwater ich caused by an infestation of the ciliated protozoan Brooklynella hostilis. It is most closely and commonly associated with subfamily Clownfish members of the Damselfish family, and therefore is typically referred to as Clownfish Disease. Although this parasitic scourge similar to others requires a fish host to survive, it is not particular in its quest to find one. Angelfishes, tangs or surgeonfishes, wrasses, jawfishes, and seahorses among others will host Brooklynella.
These protozoa reproduce asexually by means of simple binary fission through conjugation, which is why they are able to multiply so much more rapidly than Cryptocaryon (Marine Ich/White Spot Disease), and Oodinium (Velvet/Coral Fish Disease), and why it can kill fish within a few days and even hours upon recognition. For this reason accurate diagnosis and immediate treatment of all fish exposed to these life-threatening organisms is critical.
Symptoms to Look For
Most similar symptomatically to Oodinium, this too is a parasite that primarily attacks the gills first. At the onset fish may scrap up against objects, rapid respiration develops, and fish often gasp for air at the surface as the gills become clogged with mucus. Fish become lethargic, refuse to eat, and colors fade, but the most noticeable difference that sets Brooklynella apart from Oodinium is the heavy amount of slime that is produced. As the disease progresses a thick whitish mucus covers the body, usually starting at the head and spreading outward, skin lesions appear, and it is not uncommon for signs of secondary bacterial infections to arise.
Treatment Recommendation
Suggestions range from copper, malachite green and other remedies, with some recommended being used in conjunction with formaldehyde. However the general consensus is these types of medications are either largely ineffective or do not work at all, and that the best and most effective treatment for Brooklynella is formaldehyde alone. Typically a standard 37% formalin solution (shop & compare prices) is mixed with either fresh or saltwater in a separate treatment container, intitially all fish are given a quick dip or a prolonged bath, followed by continued treatment and care in a QT. Of course the longer fish are exposed to the formalin treatment, the more effective it will be at eliminating this "disease". Whether to administer a dip or a bath to start with is something you will have to determine yourself, but there's a very simple way to do this.

Is it really brook? I considered brook but the fish had white dots several times on it. Wouldnt the fish have died by now if he had brook? I also did try to look for a formalin medicine in multiple stores but havent found any. The only medicine good I found was Nox-Ich. It has malachite green in it so im not sure if thats going to work. Too bad Cure All was discontinued, all the sites that sell formalin either have no shipping to Hawaii or snail mail. He seems to be doing better, the water dip stressed him out for a while though. Im going to try make the little bugger eat and do a quick water change on it. I do not have a quarantine tank, however I tried to convert my display tank into one. I added extra air pumps and circulation so I hope that helps.

Your pics don;t show just white dots. It looks like slime as well. It could be a combo of parasites as well. I sent the description so you can better determine if your fish met that criteria via the symptoms.
As for the dying by now part, you may be helping the fish clear away the mucus in the gills with the FW baths so NO, not necessarily. (The FW baths may also be helping get rid of some of those white dots as well.)
Unfortunately, I can't make a 100% diagnosis from the pics you provided however, on your top pic, I see slime as well as dots. You don;t see slime with ICH or usually with velvet. You do see slime with Brooklynella however which is what I would treat for first.

Hope this helps

So the slime disapeared today, but there are still some visible white dots. Also the dominant clownfish is biting the small clownfish sometimes. Should I be worried? Is this a normal act of dominance? I will try to get copper as soon as possible. But copper cures velvet but not ich, so what to do?

If the slime is gone, now is the time to watch for secondary infections. Since your fish is/are either still sick or on the mend, I would try to separate the 2 clowns until they are in better shape. The last thing either needs at this point is determining dominance. Their main goal should just be getting healthy again.
Copper will treat ICK as well as Crypt ( a.k.a. Velvet) so if the fish are still showing white spots, you can treat them with the copper. FW baths will also help get rid of the white spots as well.
Be aware of some things: Just because the spots are not on the fish does not mean the tank is cured of the infestation. Most parasites have different stages and some of those stages are off the fish. This is why is is always a good idea to treat parasitic infestations in a separate tank. The goal is to get the fish out of that water once the parasites have left the body. The next thing is secondary infections. The newly "cured" fish should be maintained in a QT setup for at least a couple of weeks to ensure that they don't relapse or come down with any secondary infections. Consider each area that a parasite was attached to as an open wound. It would need good clean sanitary conditions to heal up those wounds so don't be in a hurry to put the fish back into your main display tank. Make SURE the fish are normal, healthy and active once again before they go back into your display tank. Don't rush.

Hope this helps

So I treated the tank with copper power. One of the clowns isn't swimming much and isnt eating. I tried to feed it mysis shrimp and pellets but it doesn't want to eat it. What should I do? I orded garlic extract online but it's not going to come in a week maybe.

Do you have access to live foods like blood worms, brine shrimp, etc...?

Tried to feed live brine shrimp but it doesnt even want that

Back
Top Bottom