Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-11-2005, 08:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

used tank and diseases?

i have come across a used marine tank with sump and everything else for that matter at a great price.

my only concern is that i don't know the guy.

the tank comes with lots of live rock, could the system harbour any diseases or parasites?

is there anything that i should be cocerned about, what sort of questions should i be asking the seller?

i'm really intrested in this setup becase its virtually exactly what i was looking at setting up from new, but at a fraction of the cost.

i'm just afraid of buying someone elses problems!

mark

Old 01-11-2005, 08:35 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Re: used tank and diseases?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepirate
i have come across a used marine tank with sump and everything else for that matter at a great price.

my only concern is that i don't know the guy.

the tank comes with lots of live rock, could the system harbour any diseases or parasites?
Absolutely, ask him if he has had anything, and what he has used to treat the system. Watch for copper based medications as it will mean no inverts as long as there is still even a trace.

Quote:
is there anything that i should be cocerned about, what sort of questions should i be asking the seller?
What has he kept in the system? What did well, what didn't do well? What diseases has he had in the system? What treatments has he used? What additives does he use? Why is he getting rid of the system?

Quote:
i'm really intrested in this setup becase its virtually exactly what i was looking at setting up from new, but at a fraction of the cost.

i'm just afraid of buying someone elses problems!

mark
Buyer be ware for sure, but if you can get a good deal on the entire thing that is cheaper than the tank and equipment would normally cost, even if you have to start over your ahead.

Old 01-11-2005, 08:44 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

In addition to that, make sure the tank does not leak. I wish manufacturers would specify instructions to use copper-based medications in a qt only and not the main. It sure would save people a lot of headaches.

Mike
Old 01-11-2005, 08:57 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I assume the tank is full if it has LR, but if it's not, do make sure it doesn't leak.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

cheers ,

i'll be giving him a call later.

Mark
Old 01-12-2005, 02:15 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Absolutely, ask him if he has had anything, and what he has used to treat the system. Watch for copper based medications as it will mean no inverts as long as there is still even a trace.

love to see proof of this !! i dont buy it for one minute:-/
Old 01-12-2005, 10:47 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Ask Him why he is selling it in the first place!!! Maybe he has an ich problem or some other nasty desies that he never figured out how to kill.

How healthy does the LR look? I have been in you situation in the past and the so called "LR" was pretty much dead except for millions of bristleworms!!

Tags
disease, diseases, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com