What to put in QT?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lmetcalf

Aquarium Advice Activist
hey all
Im setting up a QT tank, 10 gal., HOB filter minus the carbon.

What can i put in it for decor?
I've got some old fabric aquarium plants that have been through the dishwasher and i've had them in water with some dechlorinator. are they okay to put in a QT tank? What about new ones?

I've heard some people putting in PVC piping, is this a good idea? Seems like you might not see the fish for long periods of time... ?:confused:

Thanks!

Personally, I wouldn't put anything in for decor. It's not meant to be a display tank. The fewer things in there, the better your ability to vacuum out debris and keep things clean. A couple PVC elbows - properly oriented so you can see through them from the front - is all you need to give the fish something to hide around and in, and feel more at home.

[Edit: I DID use a plastic fake coral in my QT once. But that was for a yellow clown goby, to give it something quasi-realistic to perch on. Boy... was it dirty at the end of a month!]

I agree with Kurt. It`s a hospital or QT and no need for good looks. It serves it`s purpose and then you are done with it.

Agree with the use of pvc, 1.5" diameters seem to work well. You can also make trashbag plants by taking a black trashbag and slicing downwards away from the seam. About four cuts lengthwise make for nice shading that won't trap waste and you can anchor it by tieing the seam-end through pvc.

Back
Top Bottom