what's nibbling the starfish??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jellyfish915

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have...or actually "had" is the word a starfish-one day, I noticed one of the arms was missing-like it was riped apart. The following week another one was gone. And finally all that was left was the middle or center part of the starfish. It eventually died and I can't figure out what did this. :cry:
Need some advice or suggestion.

Hw long did you have it and how did you acclimate? What are your (specific) water parameters?

I have a gimp starfish. He is missing one of his legs, hints his name is Gimpy the Starfish. He was stressed out and lost a leg.

It sound like yours was either stressed and the stress did not subside or you have a hitch hiker, like a unsavory crab.

Usually when they fall apart like that it is a water quality, starvation or acclimation issue.

we've had him for 8 months, maybe a year. My husband thinks it might have been a nasty crab...our shrimps are missing too(fire shrimp & cleaner shrimp).

what kind of trap do I need to set up?

By the way, quarryshark-I noticed that you have a same sand sifter starfish...the same one I had before its tragic death. :?

did you have more than one starfish, because when i started off..i had two and i thought they would be fine, but one ate the other... i thought they were just being friendly.. hahaha

no...just one. Now, is there a trap we can buy for this crab or whatever it is that ate my shrimps and starfish? We want to catch it before it gets to the other fish.

Need help.

Had is the operative word. I had mine for over a year before starvation set it. I would not recommend this star. The tend to deplete the sand fauna and slowly starve off.
Here is the trap I use. Works really well, have caught several crabs and a mantis with it. Its called the X-terminator and a quick google search will come up with several etailers that carry them.
Before making the investment, you may want to check your tank at night for a while to see if anything is lurking.

Attachments

• trap_203.jpg
    trap_203.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 69
Oh ya, and they are also good for catching those pesky cleaner shrimp. :p

Attachments

• goofball_829.jpg
    goofball_829.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 81
Back
Top Bottom