What's up with my damsel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tharry68

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have FO 125g tank with 2 yellow-tailed damsels, 2 Domino damsels, 2 false percula clowns, a flame angel and a coral beauty. all the fish have been in the tank for 4 months or more expect the two angels. The last couple of days the larger of my yellow-tails has been hiding under some coral skeletons that i have. This is not it's usual territory. I notice that when it comes out of it's hiding spot one of the domino damsels chases it. The yellow-tail use to be the more of the "boss" of the tank. The dominos seem to leave the smaller of the yellow-tails alone. Does anyone have an idea of what's happening?

Did you recently move any of the decorations in the tank? That would disrupt the territory that was already established and domino could have taken over.

Also i know from my experience that dominos tend to be the bosses anyway. My yellow tails didn't stand a chance against a domino.

Good luck.

-Dan

Also i know from my experience that dominos tend to be the bosses anyway. My yellow tails didn't stand a chance against a domino

I second that. I had a domino and it was terror. Needless to say, they will tend to aggravate any fish to the point of hiding. The Coral Beauties are probably going to get picked on also.. Beware.IMO damsels have no place in a tank with peaceful fish.

I also agree. My domino has been nicknamed T-rex. The only fish he hasn't killed in my tank is a blue chromsis damsel that he can't catch up too. I'm ready to let some oscars show him whose boss.

a little anicdote of mine... when I first started my tank I put in three yellow tails. They were quite fine for a while then one seemed to "give up" and was always on retreat. At that point it seemed like the others harassed this one even MORE. It was almost as once he gave up the others wanted to get rid of him (a survival of the fitest instinct perhaps) I came home from work the one day to find the pacifist barely able to keep himself afloat. I was able to scoop him up and put him in a HOT quarentine with some fake plants to give him something to hide in. Future feedings into the tank went into the quarentine then what he didn't eat trickled down into the rest of the tank where the others got it. He managed to make a full recovery! I have named him lucky, sold the other two yellow tails back to the LFS that sold them to me! :eek:) I figured if I was going to keep a damsel in the tank I wanted the pacifist.

Here's lucky and his tail:

from experience i know that those three spot damsels are very territorial and aggressive even in the wild i have seen them chase away bigger fish!!! they have what i would call a small fish complex good luck

i have 10 damsels.

When I had 2 yellow tails and 1 domino, they yellow tails were boss.

I added 2 more dominos, now they are the boss.

I have 3 green chromis, who stay in a gang, so they don't get bothered to much.

I just see the dominos and the yellow tails battle all the time.

but they don't bite each other..

I make sure to feed them enough.

I found that smaller more frequent feedings were better than 1

Back
Top Bottom