Xenia is only half open

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sacramentofish

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just added a Xenia frag from my LFS to my 40 G bullet proof garf.org style reef. It was fine for about a week, then I noticed that it only opens up about half way, the arms only extend half their length. I only have a couple palythoa and zooanthids, and 2 blue damsels. I know my lighting is a little week, I am adding 2 more tubes soon, just have 2 20w 24 inch one sun and one actinic. Amonia is about a little above 0.
What else could be wrong?

Amonia above zero is way bad!!! Water change quickly. Also mmore light is needed. The garf system is not a good set up. Unfortunately alot of people set them up only to re do them later.

I have a water change in the wings, wating for the water to mix. what is bad about the garf system and what changes should I make?

The main thing wrong with the GARF system is the lighting. No matter what you do standard wattage tubes are just not powerful enough to support coral growth. Also they recomend the Sea Clone skimmer which is probably the worst on the market. If i were you i would upgrade my lighting to at least power compacts. Then i would upgrade my skimmer if you have a seaclone. The last thing they recomend is aragocret homemade liverock. Generally this stuff does not do so well and usually becomes overgrown with algae. Not sure if you made this rock but actual liverock is what you would waqnt to use. Hoope this answers some of your questions if not ask away! :D

Actually the xenia PH thing is wierd in my tank. mine pulse away at 8.0 during the day. They even pulse at night when my PH gets down to a scary 7.6! I just upgraded my MH bulbs to a more powerful type and noticed a faster pulse in my xenia. Who knows just a guess.

I will have to back GARF up by saying if followed by their directions, it states to start out with NO and move up to VHO. It also suggests following it step by step.. I know of one guy here in Jax that did it to the tee and has a beautiful setup... I won't down their methid, as I have not personally done it..

Back on topic though, I am with Darin to the fact that if you are seeing any trace of the terrible 2 ( NH3 and NO2), it is not healthy for the corals... If the tank is ready for them, you should not see any trace..

thanks for the tips. I am looking at adding some pc 96watt in a few days. the ph is 8.0. I don't have the skimmer yet, but will probably get something other than the sea clone (any suggestions?) I have live rock and base rock with 5 lbs of the "grung" they sell. The base rock is allready growing coraline algae (the tank is only 4 months old today).

I just did a 5 g water change (38G tank), I missed last months water change- usually do them on the first of the month. Amonia is between 0 and .25ppm. I have followed the garf meth pretty much to the T, except the light I am 1 stick short of what they rec. All other chems are perfect. Will more light help my amonia levels, or is it the water change.

Thanks for the tips.

btw- garf does have some great deals on tank raised corals, I think right now on the site (garf.org) you can get like 16 corals for $100. They are tiny, but healthy.

Will more light help my amonia levels, or is it the water change.

The only way I could see light helping your ammonia level...is if your having photosynthetic inverts die from lack of light. Otherwise it will have no bearing on your ammonia level.

my xenias seem to go to sleep at night !! they curl up sometimes before the light go off if im behind the usual time !! is this normal ?? figured it was until i just read captive reef saying theirs pulse at night?? so makes me wonder !!

also has anyone soaked their xenias in iodine ?? read it help them grow faster is this true ??

I add 1 or 2 drops of Lugols Solution to my tank about once every 2 weeks... The stuff is very concentrated. If you plan to use any Iodide/Iodine solution, make sure you follow the directions fully... also, purchase a test kit for it..

Xenia will take a nap sometimes and that is perfectly normal... Mine do the same thing when the lights go out or come on... Then it is back to business pumping....

kewl thought it was normal !! their growing like weeds and splitting ever so slowly not ready to hack one up yet hehehe kinda scared ya know !! i also bought some lugols and was reading it and it said ya could put a large dose in a bucket and put the xenias in for a few min but thought that could do more harm than good !! also as ive been doing 5 gallon water change every night ive slowed down on all the additives i had bought which makes me sick to think how much money is sitting being not used now ohhh well learn learn and learn something everyday :) as for testing mabe its seachems tests but nothing ever shows on the test ?!?!?!? but all shrimps,lobster and stone crab molt on a reg basis !!

Back
Top Bottom