Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-20-2008, 03:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to HoCkEyGmC
Xenia looking horrible!

I took my parameters and everything is fine. It looks like the tissiue is flaking away. It is very deflated and it has white patches where the flaking away is taking place. I can't put up a pic from my iPhone (where this post is from) so I'll try to get one later.
Thanks!

Old 12-21-2008, 09:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

update

well i did a pwc today to try to help, i dont know if it did or not but hey its worth a shot. the white patches are still getting bigger the stalks are completely limp and it looks like it could diminish away to nothing at any time but its still hanging in there. the polyps dont open very much at all but the ones that are slightly open still pulse a little. well ill wish for the best!
Thanks!

Old 12-21-2008, 10:28 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Watch your ammonia and nitrates. And keep ready made SW handy at all times. If this is how its dying, I'd make sure the ammonia is in check. Mine crashed in a different way than yours is acting, so I dunno what is going on w/yours. My ammoinia went up and inverts died. Mine turned kinda black on the inside when it crashed.

Good luck and watch the water readings.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:38 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

yeah, i did the tests and everything came out fine, no ammonia, no nitrites, about 20 nitrates, ph was like 8.1, alk was the usual 4 or 5, everything was fine but then boom, its dieing, and it couldnt be just the one specific colony cuz i have a single stalk on one side of the tank and a few stalks on the other side and they are both looking really bad.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:25 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Ya know you're at the high end of acceptable nitrate readings? Maybe xenia doesn't like 'trates. Even still, it's one of those mystery corals IMO. Some tanks it loves, some it doesn't.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 01:21 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

yeah it never really took off in mine. maybe my dang urchin nocked something over (as it always does) on it causing some dammage and the nitrates are contributing. but im sure the nitrates are lower now.
Thanks!
Old 12-22-2008, 01:53 PM   #7

xenia sometimes crash from low iodine levels. When i had xenia i does iodine at the rate of 1 drop per 5 gallons of tank water volume twice a week and my xenia stayed healthy when i stopped dosing they crashed.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:32 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I don't dose anything. I get my trace elements from my salt. I use reef crystals. I don't know if rc's are any good or not but it seems to be doing a good job but I don't really know?
Thanks!
Old 12-25-2008, 04:00 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

well the other day the tank did really bad. my clam fell on my torch, my blasto fell on the xenia which made the tank all orangeish from the xenia which when i picked the blasto up off of it broke up and floated/flaked/melted away.
Old 12-28-2008, 03:45 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

There is a chance it will rise again, its really hard stuff to get rid of. Someone i know was trying to manually remove all of theirs and accidentally dropped a couple stalks into a korallia which shredded it and sent it all over the tank, weeks later he found a ton of little pieces springing up from everywhere.

Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
xenia

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com