Zoanthid sick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joshsmit56001

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently bought a zoanthid rock from my LFS and it is opening fine and everything but I can see one of the polyps has some sort of green thing on top of it and it looks like that polyp is dying. It is not hair algae at all, it is almost like it is the fringe of the zoanthid. It is very bright green. Also there is another spot that has been there since I got it that looks like a different kind of button polyp, it has a very bright green fringe. I am wondering what this might be and if it is bad for my tank. Also on one of my zoanthids polyps there is some brown mucus type stuff on it, what is this? Please help me, I am pretty new to corals.

TIA,
Josh

but I can see one of the polyps has some sort of green thing on top of it and it looks like that polyp is dying.

There is a nudibranch that preys on zos (I don't know if it's green, but most predatory nudis will appear almost like the coral they are chewing on), use a pair of tweezers and try to remove green thing.

Also there is another spot that has been there since I got it that looks like a different kind of button polyp

Could be, they are related and like the same conditions, entirely plausible to find them together. Can we get a pic?

Also on one of my zoanthids polyps there is some brown mucus type stuff on it, what is this?

This sounds like a bacterial infection, you can siphon off the mucus with a small diameter hose and dose the tank with vitamin C.

This post may help. Sick zoos what do I do?

I took some of the stuff off of the zoos and it looks like a plant of some sorts. Kind of like caulerpa. I have caulerpa in my refugium, can that be the cause of it?
Also when I look at my zoo it has little tube type things protruding out everywhere that have a thing come out that splits in the middle, hard too explain, is this normal? Looks like this \ /
\ / <--- Thing that splits
\ /
\/
IIII
IIII <---Tube
IIII

It is really small, thing that comes out of tube is thin as a hair

TIA,

Not sure what those are, I've seen several in my tank, don't seem to be problem.

Caulerpa could easily irritate the zos, they produce runners that can actually grab and pierce the rock, it would do the same to the flesh of the zos.

I took some of the stuff off of the zoos and it looks like a plant of some sorts. Kind of like caulerpa.

There are several species of caulerpa, most are similar, but easily distinguished from each other. This may simply be another species, that was the opinion I formed from the quoted statement.

Joshsmit56001 said:
Also when I look at my zoo it has little tube type things protruding out everywhere that have a thing come out that splits in the middle, hard too explain, is this normal? Looks like this \ /
\ / <--- Thing that splits
\ /
\/
IIII
IIII <---Tube
IIII

It is really small, thing that comes out of tube is thin as a hair
Chaetopterid worm (Figure.9 near the bottom of the page)

Cheers
Steve

If you are speaking about the worms, no. They are harmless filter feeders.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom