Zoo's just won't open

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allyjoe

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought two separate colonies of zoo's two weeks ago. For the first day, both colonies did great. Then they both closed and have not opened since. As I said, this was a couple of weeks ago, so I'm concerned they will never open. It seems strange to me that both colonies have done this (I have them on separate sides of a 120 gal tank). All water parameters are stable and good and all other fish and coral - including several other zoo's are doing great. Does anyone know why this would have happened and is there something I can do (or should do)? I use power compact lighting and I have the zoo's placed about 12 inches from the top.

How did you acclimate the zoos? It's normal for them to close up for a few days, but not two weeks.

Also, do you have the zoos near any other coral with sweeper tentacles? It could have been stung (I'm in the same situation right now) and that is why they are not opening.

well, i think i've heard where they CAN stay closed for that long...just depends i think, but i'm thinkin acclimation is what is causing this one, if theres not another coral stinging it.

Thanks for the feedback

I know it is not another coral stinging. I've seen that before with zoo's and other corals, so I've got them out by themselves.

As far as acclimation, I did it the way I always do it (never have really had a problem). I float the bag for 15-20 minutes. Then I continue to float the bag and add about 1/2 cup of water from my tank at about 10 minute intervals for about another hour. They did open when I first put them in (for about a day or two). Would they have done that if they were not aclimated properly?

possibly...i'd also like to know why they wouldnt open, as i'm lookin to buy some soon maybe

Okay thanks, Melosu58. I thought about putting it here.

Did my regular weekly 10 % PWC today. Everything else (including my other zoos) looks great but the new zoos are still closed. Any guidance/help is appreciated.

Sir Dude, Don't let this discourage you from zoos. They are typically pretty hardy and they look great (IMO). I'm just having trouble with this latest addition.

inspect the zoos under actinics to see if there are any pests on the zoos. Could be nudibranchs or maybe a zoo fungus. The nudibranchs will hid during the day and come out at night. They can take on the color of the zoo as well so they are hard to see sometimes.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom