About to give up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ok maybe it did work. let me know if you see them, and i do have the API aquarium salt from the ich drama a while back. i might have just enough will add that after i do the water change tonight.

Sorry to hear your having these issues. Keep up with the pwc and keep an eye on the test results. Good luck and your angels are really pretty

dsbanderson said:
ok maybe it did work. let me know if you see them, and i do have the API aquarium salt from the ich drama a while back. i might have just enough will add that after i do the water change tonight.

They worked. I can see what your talking about. Did it come on suddenly like over night or has if been there a while? How long ago did you notice it?
At the moment I'd recommend clean water and salt and see if they improve before we look into medications.

well it first showed up on the fake plants and then my tetras got it first and today seems to have come on hot and heavy. i think all my tetras are gone. i dissolved the 5 tablespoons in a half gallon of water and will start to add after the water change tonight. how should i add the salt mixture. how much at a time

dsbanderson said:
well it first showed up on the fake plants and then my tetras got it first and today seems to have come on hot and heavy. i think all my tetras are gone. i dissolved the 5 tablespoons in a half gallon of water and will start to add after the water change tonight. how should i add the salt mixture. how much at a time

About 1/4 of the full dose every 12 hours.
Is it stuck to the fish, growing off of it? I'm fairly sure what you saw on the plants would be different. You can try a salt bath for the angels to help kill it off. I think you should do that tonight if you have time. I'm not sure on the amount of salt in a bath..... I'll have a search.

Edit: I found this
http://www.algone.com/aquarium-articles/fish-health/aquarium-fish-dips

Last edited:
ok so 4 teaspoons of aquarium salt. i'm gonna do it in a glass bowl with a airpump. taking the fish out and will put them both in there for 30 minutes. my pleco doesn't seem to be effected but should i put him in there too. then i will put them back in the aquarium which should be enough time to get the water changed. one question. how do you all make sure your water your changing is the same temperature as you took out. do you use two thermometers.

dsbanderson said:
ok so 4 teaspoons of aquarium salt. i'm gonna do it in a glass bowl with a airpump. taking the fish out and will put them both in there for 30 minutes. my pleco doesn't seem to be effected but should i put him in there too. then i will put them back in the aquarium which should be enough time to get the water changed. one question. how do you all make sure your water your changing is the same temperature as you took out. do you use two thermometers.

Watch them carefully for signs of distress during the bath. If they tip over or breathing becomes odd remove them immediately. Don't worry about the pleco. They are salt sensitive. Watch him carefully in the main tank for signs of stress since there will be salt.
I just go by feel. If it feels the same temperature it's alright. A few degrees difference won't harm them.

Water change 50%, added 1/4 of the mixture of salt water to the tank and the angels are about 10 minutes from being done in their saltwater dip. so far so good. amazing it looks like some of that webbing has come off.. so happy hope they make it.. mama's praying for them..

Boy - I'm reading this thread and I feel your pain. W/O this site I don't know what I would do. I'm glad you came here... Please change the water as they say and use dechlorinator. Your fish are beautiful. Soon we can hope that your water is getting back in balance and your fish are doing well.

Right now I'm doing daily 1/3rd water changes due to high nitrates and cutting back on how much I feed to only once per day. (I would do larger water changes daily but I have baby breeders tanks with 12 baby cheery barbs and I can't go lower than they have room to swim as the tanks hang on the side of the big tank!!!).

Anywho, It is a challenge but I'm helping my fish when I do it and I know it is the right thing. And it only takes about 10 minutes. Totally worth it.

Keep up the good work! You can do it!

Janelle

dsbanderson said:
Water change 50%, added 1/4 of the mixture of salt water to the tank and the angels are about 10 minutes from being done in their saltwater dip. so far so good. amazing it looks like some of that webbing has come off.. so happy hope they make it.. mama's praying for them..

dsbanderson said:
ok the angels are back in.. gosh i hope that works that was painful to watch. thanks again for everything..

I'm glad to hear it went well. :) hopefully the salt and clean water will work wonders and gets them healthy again for you. :) keep us posted with their progress!

So tonight i'm about to start day two water change and decided to check the ph and ammonia and such before i empty just to see where we're at.. my angels and plecostamus are hanging in there. and i've added 2/4th of the salt water mixture so far.. will add 1/4 more after the water change.so here are the results

ammonia 3.0
NO3 less than 20
NO2 less that 0.5 but not 0
hardness still 425
alkilinity is less than 80
ph less than 8.0

dsbanderson said:
So tonight i'm about to start day two water change and decided to check the ph and ammonia and such before i empty just to see where we're at.. my angels and plecostamus are hanging in there. and i've added 2/4th of the salt water mixture so far.. will add 1/4 more after the water change.so here are the results

ammonia 3.0
NO3 less than 20
NO2 less that 0.5 but not 0
hardness still 425
alkilinity is less than 80
ph less than 8.0

You're in the early stages if a fairly bad mini cycle. Try and keep the ammonia and nitrite under 0.25ppm. It's ok to do back to back water changes to bring it down as long as the temperature is roughly the same.

Last edited:
Hey there! I'd really like to know how things are going for you? Please don't be ashamed if they are not going well... We're here to help! And we'd like to know how your fishes are doing? I've been thinking of you and your situation. For many of us, even when doing things perfectly, we have incidents. Let us know if we can help!

~Janelle

I thought i would update everyone. I've been doing daily water changes, and as of now everything is 0 but the ammonia. it teters between 0 and 0.25. when i'm changing the water the majority of junk is molding food. i currently feed a food that my local petstore where they breed my angels brings in. its a bulk food but comes in different grains from large to dust. they feed their fish that product but i'm thinking i need to find something else since my fish don't seem to pay attention to it and it mostly falls to the gravel and then i suck it up. i'm thinking my ammonia levels are high cause of all the left over stuff they aren't eating. i have two large angels and then i give an algae disc to my pleco.. any ideas on food. again thanks for everyones help my angels look pretty good

I'm glad to hear your water conditions have improved. You are right the left over food would be contributing to the ammonia. I'd suggest a high quality pellet food. Most recommend hikari or NLS (new life spectrum). Monitor your fish during meal time and adjust amounts accordingly. You want to only feed enough your fish will eat in a few minutes.

Back
Top Bottom