Added root tabs found tetra dead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Potluck

Aquarium Advice Addict
So i added root tabs by nilcog yesterday found a dead fish (lemon Tetra) dead today, checked water parameters
Ammonia 0
Nitrite. 25
Ph 7.4
Nitrate 25
Could the nitrite spike be from the tetra dying or the root tabs, already did a 50% water change as soon as I saw the nitrite

Probably from the tetra dying. I'm not familiar with the Nilog tabs, but I doubt they would have cause a spike in anything. I use a lot of tabs I make with "less than ideal" products and I've never attributed a fish death to using them.

Probably from the tetra dying. I'm not familiar with the Nilog tabs, but I doubt they would have cause a spike in anything. I use a lot of tabs I make with "less than ideal" products and I've never attributed a fish death to using them.
Tried to post a Pic but can't on this forum cause I'm Over my limit, I'm not sure how long it was dead but it was still floating which to me means not long, what's weird is my ammonia was zero so that really baffles me on the nitrite as you can't have nitrite spike without ammonia I'll include images of before the water change and after and include the and nilcog root cab analysis
Nitrite spike https://imgur.com/a/d5tbCFs

Nilcog https://imgur.com/gallery/tc1Ui3k

Looking at the analysis all the N is coming from nitrate (KNO3), so the spike was definitely caused by the tetra.

Looking at the analysis all the N is coming from nitrate (KNO3), so the spike was definitely caused by the tetra.
In the after Pic of the test is that blue or purple to you? Didn't know a little tetra could cause a 0.25 nitrite spike

Don't stress the loss of one Tetra. For $15 a year you can become a AA Supporter and post as many pics as you want. You also get a nifty green placard by your name. Lol

No I did the test 4 times lol abd my fish water stunk, which is why I tested it to begin with, I'm not stressing the fish, its just im doing everything the way I'm supposed to and nothing is going right.

You must be doing something right. Your tank looked great in the last pic you posted.
Try not to over think things.

You must be doing something right. Your tank looked great in the last pic you posted.
Try not to over think things.
It was going good but now my L. Repens are losing leaves again and forming holes in the leaves , the bacopa caroliniana has melted all its submerged leaves leaving only the tops, the rotala same thing but it's at least growing new growth along the stem, my anubias has green spot algae as well as the other plants its just frustrating me.

It sounds like you are having typical obsticles gardeners have to overcome. I know you are invested in a more advanced plant operation, but if worse comes to worse various Anubias, Java Moss and Java Fern are always available. I have had lush tanks using only those specific
plants. I forgot to mention Pennywort. Another plant I couldn't kill.

Back
Top Bottom