advice on dealing with ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

malloc

Aquarium Advice Regular
little info first...
20G tank, 78* F, AC30 HOB filter, no live plants
Tank contains: 5 odessa barbs, 4 marbled hatchetfish, 1 rainbow shark, 1 apple snail, and 1 ADF.

2 of the barbs & 1 of the hatchets were added about a week & a half ago, along with a 5th hatchet that died yesterday (he was very young/ small though, and had no physical abnormalities when he died, no spots).

About 2 hours ago when I got home I noticed quite a few white spots on 3 of the hatchetfish, and 1 of the barbs. the barb is also not looking very well. I have read some info on ich and am not sure what treatment to use that would work with the snail & frog (and also with the sensitive hatchetfish). The medications seem like they may harm the snail &/or frog, since they both live on the bottom, and I am not sure if they are able to take the high temperatures or salt.
Unfortunately, I am in the middle of midterms in school (tests early tomorrow, ugh) and I just don't have time to do a lot of research now. I would really appreciate any advice you guys can give me.

I would really hate to lose any of the fish, but my priority is keeping the snail & the frog safe. I would be very upset if I lost either of them. I don't have any kind of quarantine to put them in either. How would the 2 of them do with dosing salt or raising temps? Are the snail & frog in any danger from the ich? How do you pronounce "ich", is it like "itch", or "ick"? (lol)

Thanks in advance,

Bryan

Sensitive fish, indeed, but I think the best course of action would be to try the heat first along with some agressive aeration (as in, get a bubble stone or lower your tanks water level a few inches). The meds I definitley wouldn't use and the salt is a long shot. Everything should be fine if you raise the temp very slowly (as in 1 degree every few hours) until you get to 86. Then, the trick is keeping your temp above 86. You may have to go buy a stronger heater if yours wont keep the water heated high enough. If it goes above 86, then below, then above, then below, it's just going to kill your fish faster (I learned that the hard way with some GBR's).

Best of luck.

Oh, and it's Ich as in "ick". :)

Thank you, I would be more comfortable with raising the temp rather than adding something. The thing I was worried about was the snail & frog... They should be OK in 86* water then?

The snail will be fine I am sure and as long as the ADF has a place to hide from the extra aeration, he should be fine. I've had ADF's in higher temps for ich treatment before and they've been fine. They won't like extra current though. So make sure there is a safe place for him to hide out.

Thank you very much for the advice. I do have several large rocks & pieces of driftwood for the ADF to hide in. I'll start increasing the temp now. Does about 1* every 6 hours sound right?

Back
Top Bottom