angel behavior completely changed, not eating, is he sick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blipblop

Aquarium Advice Activist
To start things off, I have had my angelfish for over 2 years.

My tank size is 29g... I have
1 koi angel
1 bamboom shrimp
6 peppered cories

My parameters
79F
Nitrites - 0ppm
Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrates -10ppm

My foods
Omega One flakes
frozen blood worms
frozen brine shrimp
daphnia

Last week I purchased a Bolivian Ram. My angel is the boss in the tank, so he was chasing it around like nothing. I separated the tank in half with eggcrate. My angel behavior completely changed. He doesn't seem to eat anymore and his fins are clamped and he just stays in a corner most of the time... I'm not sure what happened.

On the otherside though my Bolivian is absolutely wonderful and darting and hiding everywhere.

What's going on with my angel? I have fasted him for 2 days already and he is still like that. One good aspect is that my angel will still chase the cories/ram out of his "area"

Is my angel sick?

Does he have any physical signs? It may be that he is upset about losing the extra space. He won't touch the bloodworms? That is unusual for an angelfish. It sounds like he may have an illness. Have you got an airstone in the tank? Try doing an extra water change and see if that perks him up. Have you seen his poop lately? Is it white and stringy?

I haven't seen his poop lately. I di a PWC every week. Most of the time he is just staring at the opening in the eggcrate(the cories/ram can get through while he can't)
Is he really upset about that? sheehs..

Anything is possible. If the cories/ram can get through maybe move the eggcrate over more to give him more room and see if that perks him up. I would also try and feed a frozen pea. Nuke it for a couple of seconds and mush it to bite size pieces. Maybe he is constipated. Did you say if you had an airstone or not? Although I doubt that has anything to do with his behaviour. Just running through the gauntlet of things I know of with fish.

You divided the tank with the eggcrate? I would remove it as that is probably the most likely issue with his behavioral change. Angels do not adjust to drastic changes in their realm very well.

hmm, maybe he is just getting use to it. my temp was at 79, i turned it up to 82 and it seems that my angel is fine right now. I'm going to try and give it more space.

I used the eggcrate so that my ram could have a little bit of time to adjust. It seems my angel is perking up and back to his normal self, at least today

Back
Top Bottom