Angel with tattered fins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toker95

Aquarium Advice Regular
Howdy folks,

I've had my current tank (72gallon FW BF) up for nearly a year now, and have had my pair of angels (not a breeding pair, i believe both male) for 14 months now. Both of them are pretty sizable, although I don't know exactly how you measure the size of an angel...

Anyway, one of my angels, the smaller of the two (both purchased at same size/time, from same batch at LFS) has very rough edges on his tail fin, and his two lower fins... one of them is splitting, similar to a split end on a human hair.

Is this normal? I've tried to ensure he gets his fair share of food at feedings, and regularly treat him once a day with freeze dried bloodworms. The other angel is apparently quite healthy, as all of his fins are nice and neatly edges, and very minimal splitting.

Off the cuff, looking at them, you would think one of them goes to a salon regulary, whereas the other one is a bit more haggard looking.

I've attached a picture, although a bit more blurry than preferred (still getting used to the big zoom on my wife's new camera). Higher resolution available upon request.

Any ideas for the cause? My wife has noticed that they seem to be nippy towards each other lately, almost as if they are getting grumpy in their old age. Is this a common trait to angels?

Attachments

• smaller-angel_271.jpg
    smaller-angel_271.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 42
not sure.. maybe if they are both males the other one has decided he doesn't want another male in the territory??? Or they could be a pair.. do they ever lock lips?

My guess would be age. Doesn't look like damage from aggression. Those long fins are the ventral fins (sorta like whiskers) and are known to split naturally. The length of them tells me they are a little older than 14 months, sorta like a tell-tale sign akin to grandpa.

If it looks like its getting too bad, it could be bacterial. If you are just doing weekly water changes, I would try two or three weekly for a bit. And if that does not help, you can always add a little melafix.

Jchillin said:
My guess would be age. Doesn't look like damage from aggression. Those long fins are the ventral fins (sorta like whiskers) and are known to split naturally. The length of them tells me they are a little older than 14 months, sorta like a tell-tale sign akin to grandpa.

Well, the fins haven't been anywhere near as perfect, or neatly edged as his slightly larger tankmate, ever since coming home. Unfortunately as they've grown larger and older, its becoming more pronounced.

And yes, it would make sense they are a couple months older than 14, they simply came home with me about 14 months ago as quite small (about a quarter, maybe smaller) friends.

-----

Overall, sounds like some Melafix dosing couldn't hurt a bit. I'll be in touch and advise if/when anything changes. We'll keep watching to see if they show some signs of mating, or distinct fighting. The larger will chase for short periods, but we've never seen him actually nip.

Back
Top Bottom