Angelfish all better!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angellove78

Aquarium Advice Addict
For a while now after adding some pet smart store fish I've been battling Ich and fungus infestation on my angels. It was so bad. I tried few different things even came down to meds (I HATE using them) anyways, had 6 angels now down to 2. But they are healed! I found what was working and stuck with it! They've been out of the hospital and back home for a week now. Everybody is doing good! I don't have a pic of how they looked infested. But I'd tell ya, they had big white spots covering their whole body and a white fog coating on them at the same time. It was bad. Started out with just white spots. Started treating that and everything got worse. I did everything. But 2 out of 6 is better than losing all 6. I'll post some pic in a few mins if I can get some good ones. ?

Angel
I'm glad things have leveled out and things can begin getting back to normal.

For a while now after adding some pet smart store fish I've been battling Ich and fungus infestation on my angels. It was so bad. I tried few different things even came down to meds (I HATE using them) anyways, had 6 angels now down to 2. But they are healed! I found what was working and stuck with it! They've been out of the hospital and back home for a week now. Everybody is doing good! I don't have a pic of how they looked infested. But I'd tell ya, they had big white spots covering their whole body and a white fog coating on them at the same time. It was bad. Started out with just white spots. Started treating that and everything got worse. I did everything. But 2 out of 6 is better than losing all 6. I'll post some pic in a few mins if I can get some good ones. ?
IMAG2511.jpg IMAG2525.jpgmuch better!

Angel
I'm glad things have leveled out and things can begin getting back to normal.
We are trying. my little guy is being picked on alittle though. I gotta get more cover in this big tank. Time to go shopping for my X-mas presents.

We are trying. my little guy is being picked on alittle though. I gotta get more cover in this big tank. Time to go shopping for my X-mas presents.
They would really love live plants and a more natural surrounding, but research plants and your lighting before you do this, looking good for sure i love angels.
Glad they are better

They would really love live plants and a more natural surrounding, but research plants and your lighting before you do this, looking good for sure i love angels.
Glad they are better
Baby steps...I will. I've been reading up on it. But I wanta start my own plants from seeds. And gotta get my tank in order. Just got driftwood, so that's a start. we'll get there. Time and patience.

Ich is awful. I’ve recently had to battle it myself. It’s a concern every time I add new Fish. I️ hate the meds too. It makes an awful mess. Last time I️ cured the tank be increasing the heat, adding aquarium salts and more aeration.

Baby steps...I will. I've been reading up on it. But I wanta start my own plants from seeds. And gotta get my tank in order. Just got driftwood, so that's a start. we'll get there. Time and patience.

If you are going to do live plants , IMO I would avoid the "seeds" many have been scammed. Real plants already grown are relatively inexpensive unless you get into rare and plants requiring "high tech" set-ups.

If you are going to do live plants , IMO I would avoid the "seeds" many have been scammed. Real plants already grown are relatively inexpensive unless you get into rare and plants requiring "high tech" set-ups.
OK, for a starter upper I need tall ones that need somewhat low maintenance, I have a older hood light with glass top under it. Any suggestions on what plants to get. Angelfish, Otto catfish, and a pleco. Platies will be in it too, later. I'm not sure if I would need a different light or not. It's got 2 long bulbs, white and blue.

OK, for a starter upper I need tall ones that need somewhat low maintenance, I have a older hood light with glass top under it. Any suggestions on what plants to get. Angelfish, Otto catfish, and a pleco. Platies will be in it too, later. I'm not sure if I would need a different light or not. It's got 2 long bulbs, white and blue.
Anacharis is a pretty good starter plant. I bought one bundle from petco for 2.99 about six months ago. The bundle included 4 or 5 individual strands and I find myself trimming and throwing it away every month. I've got like 10 feet of it now in my 55 gallon. Grows pretty much only vertical.

Angel
Getting into a planted tank setup is quite an involved process, unless you scape with low light plants. Most of our accomplished member aqua gardners have expensive high intensity lighting, plant promoting specialized substrate, fertilizers and Co2 systems.
You can Acheive a green, lush tank using plants like Anubias, java fern, java moss or hornwort.
You don't even have to plant those plants. Just attach them to driftwood or rocks. No substrate or lighting upgrades needed.

This is the list that was given to me but all tanks are different as far as lighting, ferts, substrate water parameters etc etc, I have a low/med strength light, no co2, fine pebble substrate (Caribsea supernaturals) I dose flourish 1x a week, seachem excel 2x weekly, I currently have anubias tied to my drift wood, a flame leaf sword and an Amazon sword (you don't root anubias in the substrate as it will rot the rhizome, hence why you tie it to driftwood /decor with nylon black thread), this is the list that was given to me.
A reinekii is a good one for medium setups [emoji106] also I’d get some big bushy greens in there like,
Crypt wendtii
Crypt balanese
Wisteria
Dwarf sag
Hygrophila corymbosa
Hygrophila compact
Liminophila sunset

Something like those anyway [emoji106]

I would start out as was already recommended worth anubias, Java ferns, maybe try an Amazon sword, but the key thing is to get true aquatic plants that have been grown submerged, don't get the plants in the plastic tubes from petsmart.

The great thing about plants is they take care of the tank for you (yes you still have to do your water changes weekly) as they feed on ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, but it's good to dose a fert every week and excel as it will make them grow better, anubias, Fern and amazon swords are slow growers so it will take time to fill out.

Back
Top Bottom