Anyone diagnose this lump please?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chrisnield

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Spotted a small under the skin lump with a white tip on my Red Cap' head yesterday (see pic - sorry it's not great).

Have never seen this before?

He doesn't appear to be in any distress and is as lively as ever, but I'd like to treat it if possible.

He's in a 19 gal tank on his own. Weekly water changes. Water readings all normal.

Cheers guys!

Attachments

• image-2953695977.jpg
    image-2953695977.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 72
  • image-357093492.jpg
    image-357093492.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 73
Sometimes goldfish get these bumps. I believe it could be something to do with genetics, a sort of deformity. How old is the fish? I have a goldfish at my store that is about 6 to 7 inches long and has a Huge lump on its side. But it acts just fine doing normal fish stuff. I wouldn't worry about it unless you can tell it's affecting it in a negative way.

Hi! Is this a new fish? Or did you add a new fish recently? Is it possible to get a closer pic of the bump? How are your parameters? I can tell he or she is fairly young as there is no wen development yet.

Goldfish do get some odd growths on occasion that do not affect their quality of life but sometimes a bump can be indicative of another issue that may need to be addressed. Some more info will help! :)

Hello again! :)

Yes, he's fairly new - got him in June. He's the most liveliest fish I've ever owned. A real bundle of energy. This is the first thing that I've ever had to worry about with him.

Water parameters are all fine. Don't have time to run a quick test - off to work shortly - but will do later.

Here's a video where you can see his lump a bit clearer http://youtu.be/52u1bwwsc1g

Thanks as always for your help!

What an active little guy!!! :)

Honestly, I can not see anything clearly as he never stops moving! Does the bump appear firm (like a wart/growth) or is it fluid filled or fuzzy or clear? Does appear like a whitehead/pimple? I would take a wait and see stance for right now and monitor the growth as I do not want to recommend any kind of treatment without knowing what (if anything) you may be treating. :)

Yeah, sorry about the video. Hard to get him to stay still!

If anything, the lump looks much smaller tonight so I reckon it might be healing or calming down. It's certainly not affecting his buoyancy so I don't think it's anything to worry about.

Thanks very much again for your help!

Back
Top Bottom