Are My Neon Tetras Okay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Haze08

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi! So I just bought 3 neon tetras for my 5.5 gallon tank

I know they prefer bigger and I know they need bigger schools
I'm working on that :)

Im a little concerned because they're colour isn't as vibrant as I've seen most neons, this is also how they were in the store

I don't know if maybe they're just young, and it'll come in
Or if it's something I should worry about

A couple look to have a slight S curve on their body, and look a little more wide than long..am I imaging things oh do you think this should be cause for concern?

They are very active and have been eating, and I had the water tested before I got the fish, they told me everything was fine

Maybe I'm worrying for nothing but I want to make sure
(Also it's very hard to take photos of moving fish haha)

Attachments

• 20170803_153655.jpg
    20170803_153655.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 67
  • 20170803_153810.jpg
    20170803_153810.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 70
  • 20170803_153752.jpg
    20170803_153752.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 73
Mine seem to drop color after lights out and usually color up within an hour or so of the lights being on. If your going to upgrade tanks soon you might be able to add 2 more to have a small school of 5. What are your water parameters?

The general rule of thumb is that if they're eating food they're probably fine. If you JUST got them, give it a few days: anything I've purchased usually lacks a little color at the store and for a few days/week after they're re-homed. Feeding high quality foods can help bring out more vibrant colors, too. I like to feed New Life Spectrum foods and the occasional frozen shrimp / live blackworm. My tank goes nuts on live food day! :lol:

What are the tank parameters? Is the tank cycled???

A problem in water quality can make them stressed and also could be an issue. Otherwise give it a few days.

Back
Top Bottom