balloon belly betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

m.bug

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello. I've had this betta about 7 months. He has exploded overnight. He looked absolutely normal the night before last and yesterday morning he was huge. I don't know if it is dropsy or just constipation. He does not look like a pine cone, just very round. I looked through the forum and read advice about similar situations. I changed the water. It is a 2.5 filtered heated where he lives alone. I added epsom salt when I added new water and I fed him peas like was suggested to someone else. He probably injested 3/4 of 1 pea. And he's been relatively active.

This morning he looks the same. I am going to do another 50% water change today and keep feeding him peas.

If this sounds familar to anyone can you please respond?

It sounds like you're doing the right thing. If he doesn't respond to epsom and peas, try an antibiotic. Melafix is gentler on your benificial bacteria, something harsher is likely to be more effective, but force you into frequent water changes.

If he doesn't respond to the peas, treat with medication stronger than melafix. Melafix is gentle and mild but if it is dropsy, it will be ineffective IMO. I had a gourami that had dropsy and her scales didn't stick out for almost a week after getting bloated. I have to assume that is because I started treating her as soon as she got big. Jungle's fungus clear is one option, Maracyn II another although it didn't work for me, Ap's Nala-Gram. Nala Gram is the one that showed the most improvement for me but unfortunately it was too late. Good luck and don't wait more than 24 hrs to start treatment if he doesn't respond to the peas.

After I made the original post I made his peas which he only took one bite of. Then I did the water change. And then I decided to add the antibiotic 'Neoplex' by Seachem. I don't have any of the medicines that were recommended by Zagz. Will Neoplex be ok or should I run out and pick up something else?
Thank you.

It appears from a few quick search results that it is mostly used for external infections. I would recommend getting one of the other meds. If they don't have those read the packages of what they do have and see if there is any notations for bloat or dropsy on the medications. I know here we are terribly limited to what meds we can get in the lfs.

Back
Top Bottom