Balloon Molly - please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmusgrave

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Please help with a problem I have with a black Balloon Molly. For the last three weeks she has been getting bigger and bigger. She has a squarish body shape from whichaver angle you look so I thibk sh'e pregnant. BUT...her rear end area started with a small white/grey area that I thought was its anus but has since grown and grown and grown. She is very stretched in this area and is protruding. I have enclosed a photo to show. What is this? Is she OK? She seems to have normak behaviour and is eating. Please help!

[center:6c2ce9f19d] Welcome to AA, jmusgrave! :n00b: [/center:6c2ce9f19d]
That doesn't look good. I do not have any experience with pregnant livebearers, but it doesn't look pregnant. Is the fish eating more than normal? What are your water parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates)? Is the water always cloudy, or is that the photo?
Look for information on internal parasites and isolate this fish. What other fish are in the tank?

The replies don't look favourable. She does seem to be always always always eating.

We have have only 2 mollies, 4 platies and some cardinal tetra for about two months. Nothing else as we want to stock slowly.

The Nitrite level is 0

The replies don't look favourable. She does seem to be always always always eating.

We have have only 2 mollies, 4 platies and some cardinal tetra for about two months. Nothing else as we want to stock slowly.

The Nitrite level is 0

When my baloon mollies were very very pregnant the skin near the anus became very stretched and almost transparent. I was able to see the black fry inside... sorta... mostly there would be a dark spot but several minutes later the spot would have moved. My mollies were of a calico variety though so the underlying color was white. Watch the spot and see if you see any other "spots" of color under/through this area, then see if the spots are in the same place a couple of hours later. She, hopefully, is just ready to pop! :D
Good luck!

My black molly is almost always pregnant and has never looked that hugely stretched! She actually looks a bit scary. It's too bad we can't tell so well if a fish is in pain :( How is she behaving otherwise? Is she active?

Back
Top Bottom