best tx for popeye?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hbeth82

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just noticed that one of my dwarf flames has popeye. I have no idea on the specific cause but then most internet resources don't know either. Water temp is 76.7, ammonia and nitrate are 0, and nitrate is around 15ppm. Here are the best pics I have of the little guy:

head-on view side view

Some sources recommend treating with Maracyn and Maracyn Two, whereas others suggest using MelaFix. My plan is to isolate him in a 10gal and add aquarium salt. What medication would be best or should I try something else?

Thanks!

Is it possible to determine the cause of the problem or just assume that it was an injury that became infected? That seems to be the most common suspected cause.
Also, unless this is a symptom of a worse problem, the fish most likely will recover, right?

Found this for you to read:

Fish Pop-Eye

Good luck!

Thanks, that does give me more info but some if it also contradicts the info in the link from melosu58, though this link for FW makes more sense. Main contradictions are whether it should be removed from the tank (this can cause trauma which may aggravate the problem) and whether it should be treated with medication. So, thoughts?

Thanks!

Ok I just realized your in the FW forums. I was thinking this was a flame angel and SW. I know in most cases in SW, trauma and poor water quality causes it. As far as treatment in SW PWC`s and pristine water quality will cause it to get better.

I know for dropsy, epsom is recommended but didn't know if pop-eye was the same kind of fluid build-up. Would people recommend using aquarium salt or epsom salt? Definitly going to be isolating the little guy, though I hope getting him out won't be too traumatic!

I think they are pretty much the same thing. I do use aquarium salt, but that is only because I KNOW that it's safe for fish, for sure.

I think technically epsom salts aren't really salts (no sodium chloride but then I barely passed high school Chem2). Aquarium salt, which does have the sodium chloride, was bad for fish with dropsy because it causes them to retain even more of the liquid, whereas epsom salts should do the opposite. Since it sounds like the eye popping out is due to fluid from an infection, I thought epsom salts would be better.

Am I nuts or does this make sense (assuming I'm right about the difference between the salts)?

Back
Top Bottom