Stubborn Popeye

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShelbyBlue

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, all. I am new to this forum as a member, but have spent quite a bit of time exploring threads for knowledge and help.

I am posting in the hopes of getting help with my frustrating, ongoing problem with my goldfish. I apologize in advance because this will be a fairly long post, to be sure I get every important detail across.

I have five common/comet type goldfish, one fantail and two bristlenose plecos in a 125 gallon tank. All of which I have had for nearly a year at least. The tank has been running for about 15 months. FX6, FX4, Seachem Tidal 110 HOB and six double sponge filters on this tank. The tank is cycled, consistently reading 7.8-8 pH, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 10-20 nitrates by water change time, which I perform weekly changing 70-80%.

The issue is, 5 out of 6 of my goldies have popeye. The only symptom exhibited is popeye. They are active and eating vigorously. None of them are telescope eyed. Every goldie has varying degrees. The one without popeye has cloudiness, and lost his sight close to a year ago. He never experienced popeye, it started as his pupils reflecting red and slowly progressed to blood leaking in his eye behind the lens and eventually sight loss, with clouded eyes. He gets on just fine and doesn't seem to be bothered by his blindness and does not seem to have anything else wrong. I am at a loss of what to do for the 5 with popeye. This has been going on for at least six months. I have tried doing large water changes every other day for several weeks, aquarium salt up to 1 tbsp per two gallons, yet started with a smaller amount, Kanaplex, Melafix with Pimafix, one full treatment of Maracyn, and just finishing with two full treatments of Maracyn 2. Absolutely nothing has had an impact on the popeye. At certain times I did nothing besides normal maintenance because I just didn't know what to do and the popeye stayed the same. The medications were all administered at different times, with breaks in between.

I'm wondering if there is something I haven't yet tried or maybe just leave it alone. Thank you so much for taking the time to read this and for any help. I truly appreciate it!

Attachments

• 20200326_142232.jpg
    20200326_142232.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 20200326_142226.jpg
    20200326_142226.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 18
Well I had a molly with Popeyes one time and it became worse and worse every day until the eye fell off! I’m not sure what I was supposed to do at the time but it went from normal to gone in like 3 weeks so maybe whatever your doing is helping stall the problem

Back
Top Bottom