Beta fungal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, fingers crossed. Keep us posted. If no improvement after another day of two will have to go to stronger meds.

Try API General Cure.
+1
This is malachite green i believe, very good against fungus and parasites. But if its Pusedomonas, idk if that particular med. has any anti-bacterial agents, tho it could.
Personally i would use methylene blue and salt, and if i needed to i would add an antibiotic.
or you could try "fungus Cure" which is Nitrofurazone, an antimicrobial sort of like general cure, (malachite)
I doubt you get much benifit from Melafix or primafix or betafix, lol those are just money making scams by API. The tee tree oil is only effective against a few of the many diffrent types of bacteria, tho primafix may help with fungus a bit along with fresh clean water, its better to use a stronger medicine known as methylene blue, its a liquid tho it can be found in power form, most good Fish stores (not chain stores) should have it its like 8oz for around 7 dollars.

How is the fish going?

It always amazes me when Pima and mela do work but they can and if they do, have no effect on bb that I've noticed and don't stain your water. For example a month back one catfish disappeared and I thought lost but showed up with a bit of fungus (or that's what I thought), treated a few nights with Pima and then a really light dose on the next two pwc's. Seems back to normal. But if it couldn't cure in 3 days I would of gone for something stronger. Just my observations to date.

Well originally the red sore on the left side healed but the white cottony growth on the gill has remained with little change it hasn't gotten smaller or bigger than I can tell. I had stopped the melafix and pimafix treatment and got some erythromycin and treated that alone for 8 days with no change then continued the errythromyacin combined with melafix and pimafix as well as adding a tablespoon of aquarium salt once a week with water change, and still nothing. :facepalm:

Also appears to be a white spot or other growth on the right side but doesn't appear like a bump or raised spot. I got general cure and an Ich med once I finish the errythmocin and water change I'll try the general cure first then if nothing PWC and Ich. I'll take another pic soon. Thinking about buying a UV sterilizer

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I just started looking at UV steralizers last night and am not too familiar with them, but I currently have just an air stone and a tetra whisper bio bag filter. Was thinking about upgrading filters anyways cause I hate the bio bag. I saw this and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on it? Aquatop Power Filter with UV - Up to 15 gal.

also this UV sterilizer that is just on its own and not inline with the filter
AA Aquarium Green Killing Machine Internal UV Sterilizer with Powerhead: Aquarium UV Sterilizers

Well originally the red sore on the left side healed but the white cottony growth on the gill has remained with little change it hasn't gotten smaller or bigger than I can tell. I had stopped the melafix and pimafix treatment and got some erythromycin and treated that alone for 8 days with no change then continued the errythromyacin combined with melafix and pimafix as well as adding a tablespoon of aquarium salt once a week with water change, and still nothing. :facepalm:

Erythromycin may not do much if bacterial as most aquarium bacterial infections are gram negative. Also I'd swap the fungal treatment to another chemical like MG, acriflavine, etc.

Nitrofurazone (Furan-2*), Kanamycin (Kanaplex*), or Minocycline (Maracyn-2) are gram- options. Triple sulfa can be hit or miss, works best if used early on.

Gram+ antibiotics (like Tetracycline and Erythromycin) are more likely to upset your beneficial bacteria than gram negative.

Nitrifying bacteria are gram+ aerobic.

I just started looking at UV steralizers last night and am not too familiar with them, but I currently have just an air stone and a tetra whisper bio bag filter. Was thinking about upgrading filters anyways cause I hate the bio bag. I saw this and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on it? Aquatop Power Filter with UV - Up to 15 gal.

also this UV sterilizer that is just on its own and not inline with the filter
AA Aquarium Green Killing Machine Internal UV Sterilizer with Powerhead: Aquarium UV Sterilizers

On UV filters I run an internal one that has it's own powerhead so it has the proper flow rate for the uv bulb. I also have one in the canister filter which is high flow rate and I'm dubious it does much more than kill algae.

Will post a link tonight. Short answer is you need to spend on high end to kill more than algae. Mine I think helps (may restrict infections to a fish or fish school) but still have had fungal and bacterial infections.

Well the general cure still didn't help either and it caused an ammonia spike I did a 90% PWC and put carbon in the filter to get rid of some of the meds left. I'll take the carbon out in a few days and toss it and put my purigen back in. Then idk what else to do. She still hasn't had any change in appetite or activity she seems really happy and curious and is eating well.

Well the general cure still didn't help either and it caused an ammonia spike I did a 90% PWC and put carbon in the filter to get rid of some of the meds left. I'll take the carbon out in a few days and toss it and put my purigen back in. Then idk what else to do. She still hasn't had any change in appetite or activity she seems really happy and curious and is eating well.

Is the general cure copper sulphate and metro?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408360337.007929.jpg
Metronidazole and praziquantel

Oops, looking at wrong one - well the metro (protozoa) and prazi (worms) will have helped with parasites but not treated the fungal infection. I would try treating for the fungal infection next. Not sure what you can get over there. Malachite green will also help with protozoa parasites (eg ich, etc). Methylene Blue is another one but keep an eye on ammonia as bb may take a hit.

Below is a link on uv filters as well.

Aquarium & Pond UV Sterilization | How to use a UVC Sterilizer

Back
Top Bottom