Betta and HITH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

courtnee

Aquarium Advice Freak
My betta this morning has these two "sores" on top of its head. They are white/tan colored like flesh. He is a dark red/blue betta. He is very healthy otherwise.

I am trying to figure out if he scrapped his head or if its HITH. :roll:

I right away tested the water (I do 20-50% PWC on the 10GL tank he is in at least once a week and vac the gravel. He is the ONLY thing in the tank) His tank is is very clean. I tested the water and ammonia, nitrIte are zero, nitrAte is 20. PH 7.2

The only changes lately. My 6yr old dumped several pellets and flakes in his tank 4 days ago or so. I caught it right away and did a PWC of 50% (was time for a change anyhoo) I sucked all the food out, did a gravel vac and even used a small syringe to get extra floaters and in the gravel. Nothing was in there long enough to really rot. Daughter learned a lesson and hasnt done it since.

I replaced the media in his filter the other day about two days ago and rinsed the filter pad in tank water.

What do you think? What should I do?

Things on hand are Melafix, salt and stress coat.

Also I was going to add more gravel to his tank today and give him a real plant. I suppose I should wait on that?

Picture was very dark so I had to lighten it. Color of the sores does not show right but you can at least see where they are.

img_758020_0_1310cd9453e9a438d5f0817399b9d819.jpg

Side shot of him. His fins are just as they always have been. His color is great. he is very active, eating well, staring at himself in the glass and doing his "Im the biggest boy in the tank" stance.

img_758020_1_f19e153a5e172854482c5115079419cf.jpg

I've never seen a Betta fish with HITH before, though I'm sure they may be able to get it. I'm thinking that a betta has such limited feeding options that it's probably Not HITH. (ie: They don't need specialized food like other fish that usually contract HITH).

So my guess is that he just scratched his head on something and that with clean water it will heal in time. However, do keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't spread or get fungusy.

But, just to cover bases...what do you feed the betta and how often does he get a water change?

HITH is usually caused from a lack or proper diet or poor water quality or a combonation of both for prolonged periods of time.

He eats Betta Flakes. They are bigger flakes and I give him a size of flake I know he can eat. He eats the whole thing and what is left over I get out of there if there is any. I feed him just once a day.

He also gets frozen blood worm 1 maybe 2 times a week. Just one worm. I thaw them in a cup of tank water for my pictus cats and take out just one worm for the Betta.

He does not like Betta pellets. :)

I keep his tank in that good of condition.

I do 50% or so PWC once a week on the 10gl tank. His tank is so well taken care of. That is why I was so shocked. I do a 50% change on his tank and a 50% change on my 55gl every week. I gravel vac and make sure food is not rotting in both tanks and my LFS says my water is flawless. I liquid test every week to make sure it is stable and great water. Why I am wondering how my fish could have something that is caused by bad water!!!!!

My Betta is so happy and makes bubble nests and enjoys his roomy 10gl and is so spoiled.

I hope he just scrapped his head! I have heard theories of carbon causing HITH as well and I just put new carbon in his filter!

It doesn't really look like HITH disease to me. What is in the tank that he may have scraped his head on? It looks more like a scrape to me. I wouldn't add melafix, it can cause problems with bettas. I agree with DT, keep the water clean like you have been and keep an eye on it. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom