Betta fish sick, no idea what it is.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PhillipC

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My betta has been acting strange a week ago. He seemed really depressed besides the time when I feed him. For the past week he just lays on the sand sideways and I thought he got swim bladder so I stopped feeding him. He looks completely normal but now he cant swim right (instantly floats down, has no energy). I'm worried about him since I havent fed him for a week (thought it was SBD) and he has no energy at all and swims funny but looks normal.

I'm currently trying epson salt but I dont know if its working. Keeping his tank especially clean right now. I've had him for about a year and a half now, 11 gallon tank, filtered, heated at 80 degrees, tank fully cycled. I've never had any issues with him before.

Can he eat ? Is he hungry ?

I realize you stopped feeding in because you thought it was SBD, but if it was caused by constipation, often it helps to try feeding some cooked, skinned peas. This often helps correct constipation, which causes pressure on the bladder from swollen intestines.

But if after a week of not feeding he is not better, and can't swim, then it might still be SBD, but from some other cause. Sometimes there is no obvious cause.

See if he is able to eat, or interested in food. If he's hungry and can eat, he may still recover. You might try the peas too, in small pieces similar to what you usually feed him.

If he is refusing food and unable to swim, then there may be nothing you can do. I'd try sea, aquarium or kosher salt rather than epsom salt at this point. If epsom was going to help, it would have done so by now, I'd think. Fish are like any other creature, sometimes they get sick and do not get better. I hope this is not the case.. wish you luck.

Thanks, yes it does not look well for my fish. Hes not eating and wont swim at all. He barely moves. At this point ill try the salt and pray for the best

Good luck. But if he is not showing signs of improvement soon, you may want to consider euthanasia. Fish can suffer, and you could save him that, if not his life. Clove oil is painless and while it's not an easy thing to do, it is not difficult to do, if you take my meaning.

I had to do this for a danio with dropsy, and while it was not easy, I at least felt as though I saved the poor fish from some pain he'd have had to go through left alone to let nature take its course.

Sadly I've thought about this but I dont know if I can. I raised him since he has half an inch and he's my first pet ever. I'll do whatevers best.

I understand that. It's not an easy decision to make, nor an easy thing to have to do. No more than if it was a dog or cat. You do the best you can, that's all any of us can do.

Back
Top Bottom