Black Moor Goldfish hanging on bottom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anne stuart

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We have a black moor goldfish that has been dong really well until suddenly today I couldn't find him, found him hanging out at the bottom of the tank hardly moving. The only recent change is I added driftwood and changed my declor to Seachem prime (based on fish store advise, something about a new kind of chlorine in our area). The reason I added the driftwood was because when I tested the water (for the very first time in the 6 months or so of having the fish) I found the PH was at 8.2. Nitrates were also up around 20 ppm. Prior to doing the test the fish was totally healthy and everything was great. I only tested it because I"m setting up a new separate tank and wanted to make sure before stealing some seeding material. I did a PWC of about 25% about a week ago and the fish was fine. I decided to add some drift wood on Monday or Tuesday this week to bring down the PH. The fish loved it for a couple of days but today I found him on the bottom under the driftwood. I retested everything right away.

Ammonia 0, Nitrate, 0, Nitrite 0, High PH 7.4

I called the fish store and he suggested removing the drift wood which I did. I fed the fish and he did come up and eat a bit. but after a while went back to the bottom of the tank.

I prepped some water for a PWC using the Seachem prime. Tested the PH of the new treated tap water prior to putting in the tank to see what my tap water PH is. It read 7.4. Then I retested my tank and it looked to me like 8.4, it was pretty purple!! So I did the PWC of about 20% of the tank and retested the high range PH. It shows 8.2 now, at least I think, it's so hard to read some of those colors. Little blacky is back at the bottom :-(

I have a bio orb flow 8 gallon tank. We've had it for over a year and have had many rounds of goldfish in there :) We are not fish people, we just got it for my 5 year old after the dog died. I think I would have gotten another dog if I had known how much work this would be. We had one hanging at the bottom once before and he went belly up on us a few days later so I'm hoping to avoid another casualty. Help please! I'm not sure my pet store is all that with the advise.

Help! This morning he's laying on the bottom of the tank! And we're going away for the weekend, yipes! Should I do another partial water change?

Yes. Do the wc. Btw your tank is way to small. You should look into at least a 29 gallon tank in the future.

I did the pwc. He swam around for a bit but didn't eat. I'm not back home till Sunday so just hoping for the best. Checked the water again and ammonia 0, nitrate 0, nitrite 0, ph 8.0. So pretty perfect for a goldfish I don't get it. And I've on,y got one tiny tiny goldfish in that tank. If it was too small wouldn't I see ammonia spikes or something?

Back
Top Bottom