Black moor Sick! Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MaffooJ

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, I have had a black moor goldfish for about 5-6 months now. He has had a swim bladder disease for about 4 months now and seems to be permanently stuck upside down :( But that isn't the problem anymore. Lately he has had a red ring around his on fin on his belly and a strand of white stuff hanging from the end. Now last week he has gotten a red "bruise" it looks like on his belly near the fin. He can still swim and will occasionally swim to the bottom if he has a lot of energy. He was in a 20 gallon tank (yes, i cycled it) with another black moor and a ryukin goldfish (not the best match) and another little guy, not sure what name though, rather small. I have now put him in a 1 gallon tank so he wont possibly "infect" the other ones and do water changes as much as possible (at least daily). This is just a youtube video my brother made before the red bruise and white strands. Hope I will get some answers :fish2:

The Upside Down Fish - YouTube <-----not sure if it will work.... :thanks:

Bless his heart, that's got to be miserable. I'm not even going to attempt to advise you as I don't have Goldie's, hopefully JLK will see this & advise.

I'm definitely no expert, but it kind of sounds like an anchor worm, or maybe some kind of fungus to me! JLK should be able to help though, they sure saved a few of my goldies! Ill try to post a picture of what anchor worms look like.

Attachments

• lernea%20elegans%20fish%20anchor%20worm.jpg
    lernea%20elegans%20fish%20anchor%20worm.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 1,833
Thanks for the video! Despite being upside down, he is still quite active and alert and seems unphased by his position.

Ok, can you possibly post a pics of what you are dealing with now? Does the string come out of a red sore and resemble the anchor worm pic- white string? Or is it multiple hairs/strings in patches? Does he have small sores (pea sized or smaller), a large sore/red area on his belly or something else? I'm just trying to figure out what's going on here. I would expect him to have issues with the part of his belly that's exposed to the air all the time but I'm not sure if this is what you mean.

Do you have a 5g bucket or plastic bin you could move him into? A 1g is really unforgiving unless your changing 100% of his water atleast 1-2x a day.

How do the parameters look in the tank he came from? Water change schedule on this tank? Diet? We need to look at why these things are happened as well to prevent future problems.

I'm definitely no expert, but it kind of sounds like an anchor worm, or maybe some kind of fungus to me! JLK should be able to help though, they sure saved a few of my goldies! Ill try to post a picture of what anchor worms look like.

Thank you for the pic!! The app lacks a 'thank you' button so I am doing this the old fashioned way! :)

Sorry for not replying for a while :fish2: He is still swiming around fine but the white "fungus" seems to be bigger. The red bruise has gotten smaller though :) I change the entire 1 gallon bowl everyday. His previous 20 gallon tank had 50-60% water changes every 10 days. Their diet is pellets that float for a few seconds then sink. I would also occasionally feed them peas. I'll post a pic, tell me if it doesn't work. :thanks: Hope he gets better!:fish2:

Here's the picture! Looks really gross!

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 143
Thanks! The white slime areas are excess slimecoat he producing to try and protect himself from exposure to the air. Unfortunately, the red areas & red streaking indicates he is developing an infection. This is common in goldies that are floaters or sinkers and typically results in their demise. Are you in the US or another country? Is an aquatic vet a possible option for you?

Ok, I know the Goldfish Connection didnt used to ship to Canada but they may have changed their restrictions- I would check their site. There is a place called 'Fish Sempai' (i think its Home)- Andrew was the guy who used to own/run it but I dont know if this is still the case but its out of Canada and they used to carry meds from the Goldfish Connection. Your looking for MediGold if you are able to purchase it. Another option would be to purchase kanamycin (Seachem also sells 'kanaplex') and make your own medictaed gelfood for him using it. Heres how to do it: Goldfish and Aquarium Board Article-Medicated Gel Food

An aquatic vet would be able offer more options for him. I have vet lists for the US but I will do some checking to see if I can find anything for ones in Canada. Do some searching in your area as well- although you may not find anything directly under 'aquatic vet', you may find some vets listed under 'exotics' that will see fish or you can check with your lfs's/pond stores to see if they can recommend anyone or have suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom