black moor swiming at the surface

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davy 1983

Aquarium Advice Activist
my young black moor stuart keeps swiming at the surface, he does some times go down but not for long, thought maybe a swim bladder problem because he would sometimes swim on his side when turning, the tanks been running for about a month and iv been doing part water changes twice a week and conditioning the water, iv recently add some fresh water plants could this be a issue, the two other young black moors are fine, all fish are eating well, mixture of flakes an pelets, and my readings are ok from the water tests, hes been trough alot hope he gets better

Hi! What size tank is this? What are your exact readings for ammonia, nitrite & nitrate? What are you using to test (liquid or strips)? No more flakes- stick to sinking pellets & fresh cooked veggies. Flakes can make swim bladder issues worse. Some more information will help us to help you better!

Do you notice the issue all the time, or just after feeding?
I agree that flakes are not the best choice for goldies. Some people use them and its fine, but a lot of goldies do better with sinking pellets so they don't gulp air as they eat.
I highly doubt that the issue has anything to do with the new plants.

yeah its all the time at the moment, its a 25l tank which i know is far from ideal but untill i have the money for a larger tank im doing alot of water changes, there still very young black moors about a inch long, am at work at the moment but when i get home il test the water an post my readings, have come to the conclusion that my LSF just seem interested in selling me an everyone tanks that are not suitable, am on the hunt for a larger seconed hand tank for them.

Yes, please post your readings & what you are using to test. Lfs are a business- and, unfortunately, most of them will sell anything to anyone to make a profit. Good luck finding a bigger tank!

just put a bid on a 65 gallon tank i think, its 4ft long 21.5inch high, 15.5 width, that should be big enough to see them to adults shouldnt it? and maybe more fish?, iv definantly caught the bug haha, hope no one bids higher.

my readings are no2 0pm, no3 5.0pm, ammonia 0ppm, ph 7.6, might do a part water change tonight, or is this not to bad?

Your numbers are fine but I would do an extra water change anyway. I think you will need to address dietary concerns for your fish. No more flakes & get yourself a quality sinking pellet plus lots of daily cooked veggies. If this adjustment in diet does not help, switch to a homemade gel food. Theres lots of recipes online if you google homemade gel foods for goldfish. Good luck!

ok il do a part water change tonight see if that still helps, il drop the flakes from now on, the pelets i have are jbl goldpearls are these any good? il start adding vegies in there diet from now see if that helps, thanks for ur help, upt my bid on the bigger tank fingers crossed

I am honestly not familiar with this brand. I am guessing its an English product? I usually recommend Hikari goldfish foods for fancies but I dont know what you have available to you.

Back
Top Bottom