Black Moore has a Growth...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clouse

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Well this is my first post so hopefully I get it right.

-Illness: Large growth on top of the head. Looks like a tumor but I'm not sure.
-Fish: black moore goldfish and I believe it's almost three years old now.
-Living Quaters: It was in a 29 gallon tank and thats where the strange growth started. Now it's in an 80 gallon tank (i'm actually not sure of the size, when I bought it I was told it was 100 gallon but it's not quite that big. So 80-100 tank.
-Filtration: I'm using a Magnum 350 filter. It says it pumps at 350 gph but I don't think it's that much...
-Food:I feed him goldfish pelets and regular flake fish food.
-Other fish in the tank: He's in a tank with all kinds of other fish mostly tropical community fish. And I know thats my first mistake is having my goldfish in 74 degree water but he's always done fine.

Anyway heres a few pictures of the "growth". I've looked all over the internet and so far I've found nothing except it being a tumor.

goldfishgrowth0qz.jpg

Welcome to AA.

First off, the fish in the picture isn't a Black Moor, sorta looks like a Lionhead to me.

With that being said...are you sure the growth isn't normal for the fish? How long has the fish had the growth? Lionheads, Orandas, etc all get clumpy masses on their heads like that, and your could be starting to grow.

Regardless though, with unknown growths such as that, the best reasonable explanation is a tumor. It's usually a genetic deformity that caused it, and nothing that could be done on your part to prevent it, nor treat it.

HTH

Well when I bought the fish a few years ago it was black (well brown) and it was in the pet store tank labeled Black Moore so hopefully the pet store didn't lie to me. As of about a 1/2 year ago it started to flake away it's brown scales and now it's completely orange except for the large tumor like growth on it's head. The growth started at about the same time. Basically all the brown scales were gone except a patch on it's head. Then it started to grow and now it has that large "growth" with the brown scales.

So anyway I'm not sure if it's a part of the like fancy goldfish sometimes have or if its a tumor. I've seen many pictures of Black Moores and none of them have large nubs growing off their head... :cry:

the thing is you dont have a black moore and this might be normal for the fish you
have.. ignorance is the likely reason the fish was labled black moore..

Any chance you can get a full picture of the fish? That way we can identify it a little better for you. From the sounds of it (starting black, ending gold) is sounds like you got a juvenile gold fantail, and that is it. All goldfish are born brown, and then gradually develop their color in their juvenile stages, and thus into adulthood.

Lol dumb pet store. Well I thought I had a black moore but it's sounding like the tank was mislabled or something. The employees there even told me that it was a black moore and when it gets older it will turn gold. lol. It has the buggy eyes just like one... Oh well hopefully it's not and the "growth" is supposed to be there.

Heres the full image of the goldfish:

fullfish0vi.jpg

It looks like a fantail to me.. the eyes look a little more buggy then normal and the growth doesnt seem normal either..
these might just be genetic deformities..
It is a little fat.. Are the scales coming up off the fish on the side there?

Nah the scales aren't too bad. I'm not really sure why he's so fat either... I had a period of time where I probably fed a little too much but for the past few months I've cut back and yet he stays fat. But anyway the scales are all pretty flush and healthy looking.

The fish swims around just fine and doesn't seem to be affected by the large growth on his head. His left eye however is starting to cloud up a bit. I'm hoping thats not to bad. I've heard that thats fairly normal but I also was told I had a black moore so I guess you shouldn't trust everybody! lol. But anyway the fish is pretty active and seems to be in fine health.

Yup, that's just a normal fantail goldfish. 8)

Black Moors have HUGE bulgy eyes, not just large eyes like that. The only advice I can give you is to keep an eye on it. It may stop growing and never effect your fish anymore for the rest of it's life. It may be malignant and spread, and eventually kill your fish. Unfortanetly, there isn't a thing you can do with growths like this but wait it out and see what happens.

Best of luck. :)

Back
Top Bottom