Black spot on Diamond Tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meegosh

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all,

Question for you guys. I had five Diamond Tetras, 4 males and 1 female. The oldest male has a swim bladder issue that I have been trying to help him out with but doesn't seem to get any better. For a while he was completely vertical, tail almost on the substrate and swimming frantically to stay off the bottom. I QT'd him and fed him some peas, which he did eat but still hasn't gotten any better over the past month. He has gotten a little better I should say, he doesn't swim as slanted anymore.

The main question here is about another one that I noticed over the past two weeks developing a black spot at the end of his tail (peduncle?). It was at the spot where his lateral line meets the tail fin, I think it is called the peduncle. Anyways, it started to appear over the past two weeks. I searched around a bit and couldn't find any answers. None of the other males have this spot. I QT'd him once I noticed it and has been in there with the other that has the swim bladder issue.

Well I came home from being away this weekend and I thought the fish with the swim bladder issue was dead. Here it turns out it was the one with the black spot at his tail.

Like I said, none of the others appear to have this spot. I couldn't find anything like this on google either. I really have no idea what it is but I would like some guesses in case it happens again. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Hi Steve

Regarding the swim bladder issue...I have only ever been told to feed them green peas and to raise the temperature. Unfortunately, I never had much luck treating swim bladder in the end. Your guys sounds like a fighter though. One month eh? Perhaps, keeping hi in QT and keep his diet as peas and elevate the temperature a bit.

As for the black spots, have you added a new fish or snail recently to your tank? I ask because there is something called black spot disease. Here is a link. Aquarium FD - Black Spot (diplopstomiasis) - Disease Identification, Diagnosis & Treatment

It typically is something that doesn't spontaneously appear in an established tank, but rather is brought in my new members. However, I guess it could appear if a fish has a weakened immune system. One of my fish caught this from a new comer but they did not seem to get very ill and I was able to treat it with an antiparasitic medication from my LPS. Hope this helps...and best of luck with your little fighter.

I guess I should've been more specific when I posted that. It wasn't a small spec or two. It was one spot, about the size of an eraser on a No. 2 pencil. It was like the peduncle just turned black.

I really wish I had a good picture of it, he was still eating and swimming fine. I will try raising the temp some in my QT and see if that helps his swim bladder.

I haven't added any new fish to that tank for quite a while. Since I added my angelfish and clown loach that I got off a buddy at work. I added them sometime around January of this year. Other than that there have been no changes.

The wifey and I joke about the one with the swim bladder, calling him a surfer dude (since it looks like he is riding a wave) and usually sing "Surfing in the USA" when we walk by and see him. It sounds cruel but he eats like crazy and is always with the others, just a little slanted. Like I said, this has been going on for well over a month. He's a fighter!

hrm...yea....big black spot I am unsure of unless it is an ammonia burn, but that seems doubtful if he is the only one. Keep us posted. I am curious.

And yea...even though it does seem cruel, I can imagine your little guy surfing with the Beach Boys in the background, and it makes me laugh too.

Back
Top Bottom