Bloated DG???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaGal

Aquarium Advice Addict
Brought my 10-gal home from college last week because the stupid thing won't cycle and I have no desire to return to a tank of dead kids. Flame DG apparently bumped his nose on something in transit, left a small pink dot, which after a couple days, cleared up nicely. Two days ago, Dracula (Cory cat) tore his tail somehow. No idea how, but is definitely a tear and not fin rot. I have dealt with that before. Come home from work this morning to already bad news not fish related. Go upstairs to get ready to sleep all day (graveyard shift) to find Torch (DG) looking quite fat. It is mainly behind his gills that his fatness has congregated. He's moving a little slow. Definitely not lethargic but not as curiously zippy as normal. I am fasting him (well, everyone since he eats anything you put in) now that I found it at feeding time. Is this anything I need to be worried about? Did he somehow get sick on me, or is he just having a fat day, or is someone probably screwing with my tank again? This is the most camera shy fish in the world, so a picture is nearly impossible. To try and help visual, he looks kinda like a rounded off diamond that's taller than wide.

When you look at him from above do his scales look like they are pine coning? If its bloat try feeding him a cooked deshelled pea should help :)

Alright. The only peas we have are really expensive canned peas for Christmas Eve dinner. He is still quite fat but seems to have managed to straighten himself out. He was slightly bent sideways. Not really enough to throw a panic attack about, but enough to be on watch. I'm guessing my ammonia is slightly raised since he's flashing a little. Probably like .5 tops. Forgive me. I got home, 3 hours from college, and realized my test kit is in my dorm, so I must go by fish behavior and smell to judge. About time a hypersensitive nose came in handy. As for fasting, how long should I go? I hate to think of starving him for a long time. That just feels cruel. If it helps figure out ways to help him, I did treat them to a few freeze-dried shrimp last night. He is the brat that will let them get wet and will somehow open them, eat the inside, and leave the skin for me to clean up. He does like freeze-dried bloodworms. But they're in the dorm also. I was real on it when I left.

Make sure his water stays very clean. Have you researched dropsy? It can be cured if you treat early enough.

I have seen info on dropsy. There is no pine cone stuff. He's just fat. He's acting fine. I highly doubt this is dropsy. He's just gotten fat for whatever reason and so I didn't feed him today.

Sorry for the delay, I'm not sure if you can feed canned peas, maybe try googling, if it were me I would check they haven't got any salt or additives added? When mine have bloat I usually feed peas then starve for 3 days and see how they go, if you think he's looking ok then feed, no one knows your fish like you do. I also agree keep your water clean, especially if he's flashing and you can't test at the moment. I always check from above for pine coming when they have bloat, just keep checking cos dropsy is a horrible disease and hard to treat hope your fish recovers :)

Sorry for the delay, I'm not sure if you can feed canned peas, maybe try googling, if it were me I would check they haven't got any salt or additives added? When mine have bloat I usually feed peas then starve for 3 days and see how they go, if you think he's looking ok then feed, no one knows your fish like you do. I also agree keep your water clean, especially if he's flashing and you can't test at the moment. I always check from above for pine coming when they have bloat, just keep checking cos dropsy is a horrible disease and hard to treat hope your fish recovers :)

Checked this morning. Still fat. More flashing today. I added 2.5x Prime dose and will do a water change when my dad gets home from work. Between being in the edge of the Midwest blizzard and the concrete floors at work, my blown knee and bad back hurt so bad I couldn't lift that bucket if I wanted to. He still has no pineconing. What I have on hand this minute are flakes, freeze-dried shrimp, sinking granules, and algae wafers. Will any of these help? It's quite possible I'm concerned for no good reason. I've just never seen him get fat like this. I did see him trying to nibble on the one plant that I have no idea what the name of it is. He is still zipping around the tank like a happy little dweeb. And he's blowing me bubbles. Just saw it. Think that means he's happy.

If its bloating none of those foods would work really to help.. Just keep an eye and see how he goes if you can't get peas I'd recommend not feeding for a few days it won't harm him in the slightest :) it's good he's still acting ok.
Good luck

If its bloating none of those foods would work really to help.. Just keep an eye and see how he goes if you can't get peas I'd recommend not feeding for a few days it won't harm him in the slightest :) it's good he's still acting ok.
Good luck

Thanks. I didn't feed him yesterday and ain't feeding him today. Hoping he can clean himself out soon. He's the brat. He acts normal except for he moves a little slower. I think it's just bloated. Lets hope he has a massive bowel movement and can get on with his life. Lol.

*Update*

We're still fat, but still going around the tank as usual. He's favoring the anacharis plant again. Making the banana plant a maze weaving through it. Somewhat slow but still playing. Less flashing since the dose of Prime, water change pending.

Still fat. May have to invest in frozen peas, since my Cory cats are getting irritated. No pineconing still. Just fat. Is it okay to feed them and then later on give them the pea?

I would just give the peas, I blanch mine in the microwave then de shell them and feed them crushed up. Good sign there's no pine coning

I got a bag of froze peas, last forever! Just put them in a good ziplock! I don't even really defrost. I let sit on the counter then, pop it over the tank.
They go nuts for it. Plus for the holidays, peas are on sale! try walmart!

Walmart lol, I wish, I live in the UK, I buy peas all the time anyway for my daughter and usually feed peas whenever she has them :)

Back
Top Bottom