Bloated featherfin (and other problems)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maxkolbe

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I came home today and my new featherfin syndontis was bloated. I feed him Omega one shrimp pellets so I was wondering if that is an improper diet?
I also pit a fish in my tank that brought in some unknown disease, however with the exception of my cobalt zebra I believe most were unscathed. My question is could the fish have introduced Malawi bloat and if so could a catfish contract it? If it's not Malawi bloat how do I treat it. Other than the gloating he appears fine though.

Also in the tank that I'm using to treat "Bruce" for mouth fungus I discovered a baby cichlid, (No idea how that got there?) is it Ok to leave him in during treatment.

i will be leaving soon for the LFS soon so it would be great if I could get a speedy answer so I can get any medication I need there, thanks in advance.

Here's some pictures of the featherfin.

Attachments

• image-1258157425.jpg
    image-1258157425.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 91
  • image-1344967399.jpg
    image-1344967399.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 140
From the pictures he doesnt seem too bloated to me. Mine is pretty fat as well and kinda looks like yours

I was just worried since he looked normal before I went camping and when I got back he was bloated. What do you feed yours?

Bloating is caused by an intestinal blockage from bad diet, not a contagious disease carried by other fish. Most often affects mbuna, Tropheus, or other species (even some pleco's) that eat a mainly vegetable diet and have long digestive tracts. I feed NLS pellets and spirulina flake to all my fish, and have never had any bloating problems. My eupterus is as fat as yours though.

Synodontis really should have some veggies in their diet too. I wouldn't feed shrimp pellets to anything as a staple diet, and certainly not exclusively. They're actually one of the worst foods as far as balanced nutrition.

Ok, the guy at my LFS said that the oils in the shrimp pellets can cause bloat too so I bought some hikari bottom feeder tablets.
Does this sound like a good plan?

-starve for one to two days
THEN
-only feed shrimp pellets occasionally to mbuna and feed mostly bottom feeder tablets

I'd just switch to NLS pellets, they're one of the best foods available and won't cause problems for the mbuna either.

Back
Top Bottom