Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-31-2010, 10:51 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

blue acara has popeye - what should I do?

Started talking about this fish on a previous thread, 'blue acara won't eat' but things are getting worse. He'd been in my boyfriends tank, where the nitrate levels had risen to 40+ since the tapwater had gotten over 30ppm (but 0 ammonia & nitrite). Plinko hadn't been acting like his normal self (not eating or swimming much) and was gasping, so moved him to my 55 a week ago, nitrate about 10ppm, 0 ammonia & nitrite. In my tank, he became a bit more active but in the past week he hasn't eaten as much as he used to devour in one day.

Yesterday I noticed that he's developed popeye. I have a 10gal tank that I can treat him in and some PimaFix & MelaFix, but not sure if I should. I figure there are two possibilities:

1. Is it possible that him not eating was the starting sign of popeye and so when the popeye clears up, he'll feel better?

2. Or, with him already being sick, popeye is just one more drop in the bucket and I should consider stronger treatment?

I'm really hoping it's option 1, that he'll get better when the popeye subsides, but not too sure. Thoughts?

Old 01-31-2010, 10:55 AM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

lots of water changes. i had a fish get popeye during the course of another disease that affected my whole tank. i dosed pimafix and melafix daily, along with a 50% pwc. within two weeks, all fish were better, including the one with popeye

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:03 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Great, thanks. Whatever may be wrong with him, it doesn't seem to have passed on to any of the other fish, so I'm guessing it's just due to the high nitrate levels in his previous tank. Would you recommend putting him in isolation tank, 10gal, or treating the 55gal?

Thanks!
Old 01-31-2010, 11:26 AM   #4
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

thats one of those hard decisions imo. moving will stress it more, but you dont want to risk spreading anything. Personally, i would leave it in the tank and treat the whole tank. both pimafix and melafix are natural, no harmful meds or anything, and lots of people use both as a prevention in qt, so i would just go that route

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
Old 01-31-2010, 11:47 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
moving will stress it more, but you dont want to risk spreading anything.
Thanks, that was kinda my concern too, that he's been through enough that the stress of moving to a much smaller home would only make him worse. Don't think popeye is contagious (likely wrong) and none of the fish in my tank or in boyfriend's tank seem to be having same problem so not too worried about other fish having the same problem, but glad to know that the meds won't mess up the other fish or the tank itself.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:47 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Popeye can be treated with just salt and clean water too. It's usually fluid build-up or an internal parasite.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:56 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks but with all the little cory cats I have, prefer to avoid using salt. Unfortunately Plinko seems to be getting worse - still gasping, randomly sinks, and looks like he has trouble getting his body to move the way he wants (almost got himself stuck in my nana anubius), just weak in general. Also hasn't eaten anything as far as I can tell. Hate watching him suffer but also hate the idea of 'putting him down'.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:36 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

You don't have anywhere else to put him? Hmmm, well I would just keep the water super clean, like changes every day, and see how he does. I managed to save mine from deaths door! I hope you don't have to put him down
Old 02-03-2010, 08:49 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have 10gal but don't have good filtration for it and (this will likely sound stupid but) haven't yet have a fish leave the tank in better condition than when it was introduced. Going back to what mfdrookie said, I was worried that moving him again & putting him in the 10gal would just cause more stress and harm than good. A few minutes of the day, he looks better but overall worse.

For lack of a better description, most of the time he floats around like a slightly disabled blimp - bumps into things, wobbles a bit, and sinks when staying in the same spot for more than a few seconds. Still not eating.

Should I try moving him, find other treatments, or has it become a lost cause?
Old 02-03-2010, 08:55 PM   #10
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

i would just keep up the daily water changes, melafix, and pimafix for a few weeks and see what happens... i spent $50 (not to mention the cost of emptying and replacing 75g of water every day) on pimafix and melafix for my 150g when i was battling columnaris... i got a 6 pack of aquarium salt for $.63 at walmart (the guy at the register gave me 6 for the price of one since they were bundled together, i even told him they were separate) and used half a box (forgot the size, but it was enough to treat 107 gallons at the tablespoon to 5g dosage) on every water change. Not sure if that would help in this situation, but it would be worth a try

Tags
acara, popeye

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com