Bolivian Ram with swollen eye

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Musket

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi everyone. Long time no post.. :) I haven't had any problems for a long time.
Yesterday I added 3 black skirt tetras to my 28g bow front tank so my remaining black shirt would have some friends.
I did a 40% water change prior to adding the new fish (as it had been almost 2 weeks from the last water change)

The next morning all the black skirts were happily swimming together. :)
However, in the evening, I noticed my larger ram (who usually hangs out in the back corner under the water stream) was sitting in the front of the tank. He/she was obiously saying "Mommy, look, I have a boo boo, help me" The right eye is puffed around the socket. The reds are still red, but yhe blacks are dulled. The eye is not dulled or clouded, just puffed out from the head. He would bump the belly of the other ram when it hovered over him.

I added pimafix and melafix right away.
Water quality is all in check.
I added some salt this morning and noticed he didn't eat breakfast.
Okay I just went to check on him and dropped in a bit more food. What came his way (back in his spot under the water stream) he would eat. Not tons, but he/she is eating a bit. :) That's good.
I added the one packet of Maracyn I had. I will go out today and get any new meds, do you have any suggestions?

Tank contains: 2 Bolivian Rams, 4 black skirt tetras, 3 baby angels (quarter sized), 1 unknown catfish (1/2" wide and tall, 2" long)
I have only ever seen pop eye in a betta and it took weeks to cure him.
Any ideas or suggestions would be apprechiated. I'd hate to lose him/her.
Thanks in advance.

His eye is still swollen (not as if I really expected it to go down so fast - but that would be nice. Worrying stinks!)
He is swimming around more and ate a touch more too. Good signs in my book.
ANy suggestions?

For pop eye the best cure is usually extra water changes. I usually QT the fish and treat with Maracyn if the extra water changes do not help. Also adding some epsom salts can help if there is fluid in behind the eye.

How can you tell there is water behind the eye?
How much epsom salt. Is that better than regular kosher iodine free salt?
I was wondering if Maracyn 2 would be better?
Any comments on that?

Last edited:
Maracyn 2 will be fine. I personally can't tell if there is water behind the eye. I use it in case it is water causing the swelling. Try 1/4 teaspoon per 10 gallons for starters.

Thanks
He /she is doing well, eating and swimming some. Never was a big mover but he isn't sitting still in one spot anymore. Hopefully the salt and the maracyn are working.
I try to look at him with a magnifying glass but he won't come close enough to the side. He knows I'm trying to look at him. He at least sits still for me for a minute or two.

humm, this morning the top half of the tank is cloudy and the fish is hiding again. Can't tell if he ate anything or not.
This evening the tank just looks a touch hazy. But he/she is still hiding. Did come out when I put food in. Did not see any eating, but he did look tempted. The eye seems to look better. Still puffed out, but the eyeball itself looks crisp and sharp. I hadn't thought it looked hazy or anything, but it does look better than it did. :)

I'm guessing the haze in the tank is a cycle from the good bacteria dying off...
Anything I can do?? Or just finish the treatment cycle..., then add some biospira a few days later?

Test your parameters and see if the levels are off at all. If so do a water change, if not off, do a water change in a few days.

the tank has cleared up, his eye looks less swollen, he is out again, but not moving as much (but more than when he was hiding). I believe he was letting me look at this eye this morning, he would swim in a circle to let me take a peak, then head on so I could see the difference in eyes (it was as if to say thank you for helping me mom.) :)
I'm going to continue treatment to the 5th day make, then just let it all be for 2-3 days and watch like a hawk.

If I need to do anothetr treatment, should I do a water change first? My thoughts are mixed...

Just fed dinner, both rams are actively eating. It's difficult to tell which had the issue (but I can still tell) SO... he is doing much better. I think it was probably a trama as to it being true pop eye. Since it is healing so quickly. Or perhaps I'm just lucky and caught it very quickly. Whatever the reasons, I'm just one happy camper my fish is feeling better. Still going to keep a close watch though.

Back
Top Bottom