Botched Euthanizing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Clove oil is my choice. I use an old cottage cheese container as my final swimming place. I put tank water in, add the clove oil, shake it up, then try to catch the poor guy. I put the fish in, put the lid on, and leave it alone for an hour or so. Then I dump the body outside in a flower bed to be used as fertilizer. I've successfully used this method many times in the past year or so.

I would imagine the method for smashing the fish would be somewhat stressful for the fish and myself.

If I understand this article correctly, I think if the clove oil was mixed with vodka 1st, then it would mix fine in the water. Is that what it's saying???
https://www.louisiana.edu/sites/research/files/NeifferFishSedation.pdf

"Clove oil is a mixture of compounds: phenolic eugenol (which accounts for 85-95% of the active ingredients), isoeugenol, and methyleugenol. Commercially available clove oil has approximately 84% eugenol, but it is possible to purchase 100% eugenol. Aqui-STM contains primarily isoeugenol (Iversen et al. 2003; Kildea et al. 2004) and is not available in the United States. Clove oil and eugenol are incompletely water soluble, particularly at cold temperatures. A 1:10 mix- ture of either in 95% ethanol yields a 100 mg/ml stock solu- tion (Harms 2003)."

(Friend of Bill W., One day at a time)

Back
Top Bottom